Georgetown MSFS Fall 2010

IntBiz

I am also assuming that if we haven't heard anything yet that it means rejection, waitlisted in the best case scenario. Any insights?

I'm anxiously wondering too. In my case, I applied to a dual degree program SFS-MA Econ, so I have no idea how that notification works. (I assume I get rejected--twice and separately. The Phd Econ admissions was brutal this year I've heard, and you have to meet similar standards...) Emails already went out to waitlisters according to the results page. Looking at last year however, some people actually did receive their acceptances by snail mail and not email. So, I wouldn't give up hope yet. That process does not seem logical to me, but who knows...

Edited by jndaven

I am confused now. I just call the office. They said all decision will be notified by mail, not email. But some got admission emails. Does that mean those who do not get emails will get rejection mail? That's so cruel.

cruel indeed...

i am just wondering what's so hard to send mass rejections.. if i haven't been accepted, i just want to be notified as soon as possible, nurse my wounds, and get on with life. why leave us hanging there :angry:

Edited by sky_blue

I was admitted last year and only received notification through snail mail on march 21. Don't know if they changed their process this year, but trying not to give up hope so the rest of you shouldn't either!

cruel indeed...

i am just wondering what's so hard to send mass rejections.. if i haven't been accepted, i just want to be notified as soon as possible, nurse my wounds, and get on with life. why leave us hanging there :angry:

Congratulations - What are your thoughts on the GT vs Fletcher debate? Do you know of some relevant points of comparison?

I'm a bit lost myself to be honest. Haven't visited any of them, or the cities for that matter. So unlike several people here, I don't have a pre-established network, so to speak, in either Washington or Boston.

A professor of mine (who wrote me a reference) suggested that I go through the faculty at each school in detail and look at their areas of expertise, research interests, etc and then try and identify the school which I'm most compatible with. I think that's pretty sound advice. Other than that, waiting on scholarship info from GT and SAIS for the moment.

Sorry I couldn't give you much of an informed opinion. Congrats on your acceptances!

hmm cruel is right- why can't they just release everyone's decisions! don't they know everyone reports these things to each other so we're all anxiously awaiting an email (and apparently dreading the small snail mail letters)?! here's hoping to hearing back before the weekend!! I'm not really expecting to get in but it'd just be nice to hear something!

hmm cruel is right- why can't they just release everyone's decisions! don't they know everyone reports these things to each other so we're all anxiously awaiting an email (and apparently dreading the small snail mail letters)?! here's hoping to hearing back before the weekend!! I'm not really expecting to get in but it'd just be nice to hear something!

so i wrote in to msfs and this is the reply i got

"The information regarding the admissions decision on your

application has been mailed out and you should receive it

shortly. Unfortunately, that is all I can tell you at this

time."

annoying isn't it.

so i wrote in to msfs and this is the reply i got

"The information regarding the admissions decision on your

application has been mailed out and you should receive it

shortly. Unfortunately, that is all I can tell you at this

time."

annoying isn't it.

oof I guess that means we'll just be staring out the window for the mailman instead of refreshing our inboxes... goody.

oof I guess that means we'll just be staring out the window for the mailman instead of refreshing our inboxes... goody.

I got my waitlist letter in the mail today. I live in the DC area. *sigh* This year sucks. I got into only 1 out of 4 programs, Harris School. I will assume that I was rejected from the MA portion of the MA Econ-SFS I applied too, but I guess I should email the admin office to check.

I got my waitlist letter in the mail today. I live in the DC area. *sigh* This year sucks. I got into only 1 out of 4 programs, Harris School. I will assume that I was rejected from the MA portion of the MA Econ-SFS I applied too, but I guess I should email the admin office to check.

Hey, don't sweat it too much. One out of four is still good, and you might get in off the waiting list yet . I live just outside DC in Virginia and haven't heard back from Georgetown yet, one way or the other. Had a letter from SAIS waiting for me when I got home today... brief fantasy of an acceptance later extinguished when I realized (as I think I knew already anyhow) that it was just a hard copy of the waiting list email I got on Monday.

WTF GT, just let me know.

Edited by killerbees

Got my admission packet in the mail yesterday and, as expected, no funding (guess I'm not in the top-20% of accepted students... no surprise there).

Leaning very heavily toward GTown right now for a variety of reasons, but am I alone in including as one of those reasons being a part of a larger student/university environment (with a campus, facilities, clubs/intramurals, etc)? I'm not expecting an undergrad-esque experience, nor do I want one, but those resources seem to sweeten the deal and set GTown apart from SAIS which is just basically 3 office buildings. Is anyone else taking those "student life" factors into consideration?

Edited by thombo

Got my admission packet in the mail yesterday and, as expected, no funding (guess I'm not in the top-20% of accepted students... no surprise there).

Leaning very heavily toward GTown right now for a variety of reasons, but am I alone in including as one of those reasons being a part of a larger student/university environment (with a campus, facilities, clubs/intramurals, etc)? I'm not expecting an undergrad-esque experience, nor do I want one, but those resources seem to sweeten the deal and set GTown apart from SAIS which is just basically 3 office buildings. Is anyone else taking those "student life" factors into consideration?

hi thombo, congrats!

just want to know is there an email before the mail package? thank you

wow, congrats, that's really exciting! I haven't heard back from GT nor do I expect to get in but I did get into SAIS and that has definitely been something that worries me about SAIS- lack of a university environment. I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about IMs and a lack of a campus haha that's the reason I'm between SAIS and Berkeley at the moment! Good luck with your decision, you've got great programs to debate!

wow, congrats, that's really exciting! I haven't heard back from GT nor do I expect to get in but I did get into SAIS and that has definitely been something that worries me about SAIS- lack of a university environment. I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about IMs and a lack of a campus haha that's the reason I'm between SAIS and Berkeley at the moment! Good luck with your decision, you've got great programs to debate!

Thanks - and yeah I'm definitely not complaining about the decision I have to make; I am very fortunate. I will say, though, that what SAIS lacks in campus evironment, it at least partially makes up for it by being in an amazing location in DC. Very accessible, great part of town for bars, restaurants, living, etc.

Is anyone still waiting to hear? I live in dc so I shouldve received something by now. I emailed gt yesterday bc I was afraid my decision got lost in the mail or something and they said all applicants would be notified by email by April 1. But clearly that's not true. I'm so confused!

^Yup, I'm in the same boat. The way it's gone for me so far this year, I've gotten emails and letters on Mondays and Fridays. Nothing yesterday from Georgetown, so maybe it will be this Friday. Looking to actually get IN to a school at some point but these waiting list notices are getting deeper and deeper... I'm not sure what Georgetown's method is. Are they sending out notifications in waves (acceptances first, then wait list, then rejections) or are the waves mixed up?

(I also live just outside of DC so it's not like the letter has far to go.)

Does anyone have any insight into the email vs. USPS mail decisions? I have read on other blogs that many students received email acceptances and then paper rejections or waitlist decisions. I have heard from all programs but MSFS and am getting antsy to start the decision making process. Any thoughts? Or has anyone received an acceptance email later than 3/15/2010 or a paper USPS acceptance? I am ready to know one way or another! Best of luck to all :)

oof agreed, MSFS is the last program I'm waiting on so it would be nice to have that decision in so that I could really focus on deciding where I will be going in the fall. Hopefully someone tells us something soon!

I got my letter from Georgetown last night and I'm currently overseas so I'm guessing if your domestic you should be knowing quite soon.

I was waitlisted by the way...BLERG!

Anyone know how the Waitlist system works at Georgetown? I don't have high hopes of getting in off the waitlist but just curious.