Improving my MA application for next year...Field school?

phusion

Hey everyone,

So I only applied to one school for this fall for an MA in archaeology. I was rejected...I knew I was a long shot given that my UG major was communications (minor in anthro) but, since the rejection, I have had some time to think about how I can improve my app to this and other schools next year.

I would like to complete an accredited field school this summer. My question is...At this point, would any field school experience help my application? How likely is it that my future Master's school would accept an accredited field schools academic credits? Would I be essentially wasting my time now and be required to take my future uni's field course?

Another thing is...I know nothing about these field schools. Shovelbums.org has a nice listing of archaeology field schools around the world. Would any of these be acceptable (especially those ran by private firms) as long as they provide academic credit?

Thanks, and sorry for being so clueless about all of this! :)

Scott

Hi phusion,

In my opinion, it definitely wouldn't hurt. May I ask what kind of archaeology you're interested in? Methods can vary a lot depending on time period / region. It's my understanding that the quality field schools is extremely inconsistent. Some are absolutely amazing and will teach you the fundamentals, others just want your money. Personally, I'd lean towards field schools set up by accredited universities or research institutions. Your other option is to try and find a dig with a good reputation that is willing to accept students but is technically not a field school. You'll get less classroom-like instruction and no credits, but will learn tons. I've never officially been to field school but have had no one question my knowledge or abilities.

Best of luck!

I think for an MA, going to field school would be a great experience, however not all archaeology is anthropological, and not all field schools are the same. Likewise, I would not expect them to take the credits from the field school towards your MA at all.

Shovelbums.org is a good resource, however, most of the digs in Greece and Israel run on a "pay to play" basis, meaning many of them attract tourists who want to go home an boast of an archaeological adventure in an exotic, historic locale. Supervisory or very technical tasks are left to graduate students while you are essentially performing the work that would traditionally be done by local workmen. It will look good on your application, especially if you do it for credit and can get a LOR out of one of the directors (especially if they are a well-known name in the field), but I would strongly consider if it's convenient and affordable to you to also look into taking a class or two non-matriculated in anthropology as well.

Unfortunately, a lot of programs aren't looking for great field people. The attitude is a lot of times, well that's great that they are good in the field, but do they have the maturity and drive to perform well at the graduate level and undertake independent research and come up with interesting questions. Field school is a definite plus, and will look great on your CV, but for a lot of departments, it's not enough to push you over the top. I know a lot of graduate students in archaeology or anthropology departments who got in without any field training at all.

That said, I would still recommend doing it. In order to pursue archaeology, you do need to do a field season to ensure that you actually like the work involved. For some, one season in the hot sun in the dirt is enough to send them to law school instead. For ones like me, it's like crack. Anyway, it would be an awesome experience for you, you would learn a lot, and most likely you'd have a lot of fun. I would think about what region and time period you are most interested and try to find a dig that is close to that to begin. And shovelbums.org is a great resource for archaeologists (whether grad school hopefuls or just...well...shovelbums!).

good luck!

Edited by lily_