First year fellowship

mmm35

15 members have voted

1. 1. My funding offer is specified for:

• The first year
    • A couple years
    • The entire length of my program

Hello everyone-

I have been accepted to three schools that gave me first year fellowships, but then don't mention anything about the following years. Is this normal?

I was accepted to one school that offered an assistantship for my advisor for all years and said it will be for at least x dollars, and this makes me feel much more comfortable (and was actually more money than two of the fellowships).

My question is, should I feel safe financially accepting an offer at a school that only mentions a first year fellowship in the offer? The university I am leaning towards says I would get the first year fellowship with the expectation of a research assistantship over the summer, depending on funds, and the $x on top of any assistantships for the following three years ($x being a number that is not enough to live on for a year). Would you accept an offer like this or is it risky if I don't get an assistantship? Other departments in the school of engineering say funding is guranteed to all students, so should I take this as a sign that it will be okay?

I plan to ask professors and students about this when I visit, but am slightly nervous to not have anything in writing. Is it normal to have the funding for your entire anticipated time at the school specified in writing in the offer?

Edited by watergirl

I absolutely suggest that you email the DGS of the program and clarify their offer. I did this with all of my offers, just so that there were no surprises in a few years. Remember, once you accept an offer, you have to sign a legal contract - you have every right to know exactly what you're agreeing to.

Yup, ask specifically. However, at least with my programs, the first year fellowship is in lieu of an assistantship. Basically, they want you enough and want you to not have to TA/RA that first year. After the first year of getting settled, you can become a TA/RA.

But if the second offer is even more than the fellowship anyway and if cost of living is comparable, that's something to consider, too.

Yup, ask specifically. However, at least with my programs, the first year fellowship is in lieu of an assistantship. Basically, they want you enough and want you to not have to TA/RA that first year. After the first year of getting settled, you can become a TA/RA.

Exactly. A first year fellowship is great, and I think it's a pretty normal, since they usually don't want you to work during your first semester, and generally are more receptive to hiring second-years. Therefore, the school's primary concern is your first year, and worries about the rest once that's covered.

Perhaps the school can qualify you for further aid -- or you can apply for more -- now or later on. In my case, one school attained second-year aid for me more than two weeks after sending my initial offer.

It would be worthwhile to find out how difficult it is to become a TA or RA at each school you're interested in, to help with your decision.