What is the best MPP program in Canada?

Hello!

I am trying to decide which MPP program to attend in Canada and was wondering if I could receive some insight to those also interested in applying and those already accepted.

I was wondering what the best schools were in Canada for a Master's of Public Policy and what they specialize in. I find gathering this information not easily.

If you can provide any other useful information it is greatly appreciated as I am new to this.

Warm regards.

I would argue that there is no "best" Canadian MPP or MPA program (a distinction mostly without a difference in Canada). It really depends on what your career goals are upon graduation. Some programs are better suited to for federal government careers, some for provincial, some for municipal, others for research/PhD-track, etc.

Ian Clark (UofT) and Leslie Pal (Carleton) put this helpful website together, which provides a helpful tool for comparing public policy/administration programs across countries, with a focus on Canadian programs: http://www.atlas101.ca/pm/. It's not perfect and some information is outdated, but it helps categorize the different programs according to policy/management focus and high/low quantitative focus. It also gives an idea of course offerings, program design, and how many "core competencies" each program provides. It's a good place to start your research, but beyond that your best source will be alumni from the programs that interest you.  

In my opinion and based on my experience, location is a key factor. A general rule of thumb would be to find a program in the seat of government for the level of govt that interests you. E.g. if you want to work for the feds, Carleton and uOttawa are your best choices; for Ontario govt, UofT/Ryerson/York; for BC govt, UVic, etc. Municipal is a bit different since only Western has a local govt-focused MPA program. 

As a final piece of advice, and against the conventional wisdom of gradcafe, school prestige doesn't matter for MPP/MPA programs in Canada (assuming you're going to be working in Canada). Most programs cover the same material (with some exceptions as you'll see on Atlas101) and govt employers regard all Canadian MPP/MPA programs fairly equally. In my view, the program that is a) closest to the seat of government that you want to work in, that b) offers you the most funding, c) has a paid internship/co-op, and d) has courses in areas of interest to you, will be the best program for you.

Happy researching and best of luck!