Considering Major Career Change to Agronomy / Soil Sciences

Hi all!

I am currently a Ph.D. student in a healthcare field. I just finished my first year of the program, and I am now almost certain that I want to quit to pursue a career in agronomy. My program is very well-respected within my (formerly) intended field and fully funded with a stipend, so naturally this is a very hard decision to make. However, I just cannot see myself in any healthcare field and I have always struggled to maintain even a moderate level of interest in the research within my field. I just had no concept of what working in a healthcare field would be like - especially as a very introverted person - prior to beginning clinical work in graduate school. I've gotten good grades, positive feedback from supervisors, etc. but I find no joy in what I do. My strengths lie in attention to detail and "puzzle-solving" based on observation. I also deeply want to be in a career where I can spend a good deal of time doing outdoor fieldwork as well as indoor lab work. I was a chemistry major during my first two years of undergrad and I deeply miss the time spent in chemistry labs. Based on what I've found online, it seems a career in agronomy would open a variety of opportunities that are in line with my strengths and preferences. I have developed an interest particularly in soil sciences, but I am interested in crops as well and not entirely sure if I would rather specialize in plants or soils. 

The question now is where to move forward with this decision. There is a nearby university (~1.5 hours away) with a good agronomy department that offers both a B.S. and M.S. in plant and soil sciences. If all of my gen ed and basic science courses from the chemistry major transfer over (it looks like they will), I could complete the B.S. in 2-3 years and could afford the tuition using a portion of my savings without taking on any debt, assuming I could work at least a part-time (if not full-time) job to support myself. The tricky but workable part is that the house I am living in is paid for and my partner needs to keep his job in town. So moving is not an option, meaning I would have to manage with the long commute to the school. After getting the B.S. we would both be ready to move so I could apply to a variety of M.S. programs and go to one with good funding. 

Another option is that the university in question would allow me to go for the M.S. even though my B.A. is in an unrelated field, provided I take some extra courses at the beginning. However, funding is not guaranteed and provided by faculty members as a condition of acceptance into their lab. I seriously question whether a faculty member would be willing to accept me, much less secure funding for me, given I have no prior exposure to this field. Further, I am not sure whether any of my former professors (except for maybe the chem professors whom I haven't seen in years and may not remember me) would be willing to write rec letters given I will have abandoned my current program. Funding is very important for the M.S., as paying graduate-level tuition would mean taking on student debt which I want to avoid at all costs.

Another factor to consider is that I completed my GRE approximately 2 years ago, meaning I have only 3 years left before it expires. I did *very* well on all portions of the GRE and it would likely be my biggest strength in reapplying to graduate school, so I would really rather not take it again as I am not certain if I would do as well the second time around.

Questions: Is it worth trying for the M.S. straight away, or should I go for the B.S. first? Any other miscellaneous advice? I want to learn everything I possibly can about my options as well as this field in general (i.e. what the work is like, job prospects, etc.)!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by majorchange

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2018 at 1:11 PM, majorchange said:

Hi all!

I am currently a Ph.D. student in a healthcare field. I just finished my first year of the program, and I am now almost certain that I want to quit to pursue a career in agronomy. My program is very well-respected within my (formerly) intended field and fully funded with a stipend, so naturally this is a very hard decision to make. However, I just cannot see myself in any healthcare field and I have always struggled to maintain even a moderate level of interest in the research within my field. I just had no concept of what working in a healthcare field would be like - especially as a very introverted person - prior to beginning clinical work in graduate school. I've gotten good grades, positive feedback from supervisors, etc. but I find no joy in what I do. My strengths lie in attention to detail and "puzzle-solving" based on observation. I also deeply want to be in a career where I can spend a good deal of time doing outdoor fieldwork as well as indoor lab work. I was a chemistry major during my first two years of undergrad and I deeply miss the time spent in chemistry labs. Based on what I've found online, it seems a career in agronomy would open a variety of opportunities that are in line with my strengths and preferences. I have developed an interest particularly in soil sciences, but I am interested in crops as well and not entirely sure if I would rather specialize in plants or soils. 

The question now is where to move forward with this decision. There is a nearby university (~1.5 hours away) with a good agronomy department that offers both a B.S. and M.S. in plant and soil sciences. If all of my gen ed and basic science courses from the chemistry major transfer over (it looks like they will), I could complete the B.S. in 2-3 years and could afford the tuition using a portion of my savings without taking on any debt, assuming I could work at least a part-time (if not full-time) job to support myself. The tricky but workable part is that the house I am living in is paid for and my partner needs to keep his job in town. So moving is not an option, meaning I would have to manage with the long commute to the school. After getting the B.S. we would both be ready to move so I could apply to a variety of M.S. programs and go to one with good funding. 

Another option is that the university in question would allow me to go for the M.S. even though my B.A. is in an unrelated field, provided I take some extra courses at the beginning. However, funding is not guaranteed and provided by faculty members as a condition of acceptance into their lab. I seriously question whether a faculty member would be willing to accept me, much less secure funding for me, given I have no prior exposure to this field. Further, I am not sure whether any of my former professors (except for maybe the chem professors whom I haven't seen in years and may not remember me) would be willing to write rec letters given I will have abandoned my current program. Funding is very important for the M.S., as paying graduate-level tuition would mean taking on student debt which I want to avoid at all costs.

Another factor to consider is that I completed my GRE approximately 2 years ago, meaning I have only 3 years left before it expires. I did *very* well on all portions of the GRE and it would likely be my biggest strength in reapplying to graduate school, so I would really rather not take it again as I am not certain if I would do as well the second time around.

Questions: Is it worth trying for the M.S. straight away, or should I go for the B.S. first? Any other miscellaneous advice? I want to learn everything I possibly can about my options as well as this field in general (i.e. what the work is like, job prospects, etc.)!

Thanks in advance!

Another option is to see if they will allow you to drop-down to a M.S. at your current institution, that way you can save face and maybe take some extra classes in agronomy-related classes.

Can I ask why you changed from being a chemistry major? Also what makes you interested in agronomy specifically, are you a biology nut? 

Asking these questions because I have a B.S. in chemistry and one in geology as well. I've looked at many different careers with the qualities you're looking for (lab, highly detailed, and with field work) and I'm wondering what interests you in the chemical world and more "natural world". Agronomy is a really cool choice, the culture around earth science is different than the rest of the sciences, if you have an interesting project idea or are able to articulate well your interest in the science you could easily develop a relationship with a potential advisor via email and get in a Master's program with minimal deficiencies. 

• 6 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 1:11 PM, majorchange said:

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!

Hi there! I’m a geology and astronomy dual degree but spent my entire undergraduate part time job as the agronomy field trials Assistant at umd under Jason P Wight. I highly recommend Agronomy, and I come from the stand point of someone who never of thought it would be interesting. I’m honestly going to consider agronomy if planetary science doesn’t work out. My boss, Dr. Wight, an established agronomist, said there’s actually a need for agronomist and there’s more jobs then there are people. This is field to go into especially since no one wants to do it and it’s needed. We will always use crops! The other great thing about agronomy is that you get to spend time inside and outside. The work is not always the same thing, so you won’t get bored like other jobs. 

Also, just shoot me a message or email for more questions since your post is a little long to read on a phone. My email is amills12@umd.edu. I can ask my supervisor about suggestions for school recommendations that would cater to you. I honestly would go with Purdue, Texas and m, Tennessee, Louisiana, Ohio state, penn state, Virginia tech, etc. but that’s my personal biasment due to working with these programs and my boss going to 3 of those schools. Also, you should probably be able to enter a Ms program in agronomy with your degrees for some schools based on your degree.