Noob question about funding and research location

Ilikekitties

So...I’m starting my MA degree in applied anthro in August and I must decide on a location to do research for my thesis (as well as a thesis topic dang it). I don’t have a proposal written yet or even a central idea, but I’m hoping to propose a project on animal ethics, eating animals, edibility, maybe incorporating the livestock industry and vegetarianism/vegan movements. I don’t have it narrowed down yet. Oops. My plan is to have my thesis proposal written and approved by the spring term, and I applied for Fulbright 3 years ago, so I may be able to recycle some stuff from that app. Similar topic, but dammit I can’t decide on a central topic or location. I don’t know who I want to conduct ethnographic interviews with yet, but my “latest” idea was with vegans...like...why vegans choose veganism and what this means for the livestock industry. Maybe use snowball sampling or something to find people.

The US might be a good place to do vegan/vegetarian movements because they’re probably more popular here than in other countries. I could also do livestock industry stuff too. The US is also one of countries that is like imperialistic and invades other countries with animal ethics, so....yeah.

My main concern is about funding. My uni might not fund my summer 2019 MA thesis research, so I plan on applying for an NSF and a Fulbright this Fall. I’d want to propose a topic that’s the most likely to be funded.

Anyway, are funding agencies more likely to fund domestic (US) projects or projects that take place abroad? I may not get any internal uni funding or external funding...in the case Idk what I’d do. Maybe delay doing research until I could secure funding. (My program can be completed in 2-3 years).

I can speak Spanish and French somewhat fluently and in undergrad I conducted ethnographic work in Central America and also in the Caribbean.

**also I should add that I understand that animal activism is imperialistic. I’m a a white American, so I practically embody imperialism.

Edited by GameofLoans16

On 6/26/2018 at 4:03 AM, sierra918 said:

I can't speak to the Fulbright, but I believe NSF only funds doctoral studies and is only for students who are ABD. 

The NSF graduate research fellowship supports people in research-based Master’s programs.

1 hour ago, GameofLoans16 said:

The NSF graduate research fellowship supports people in research-based Master’s programs.

Ah, I had forgotten about the GRFP. I think you're correct there. They do not find research directly, however. They provide a yearly stipend for you to live on. You could use that money however you like, of course, but it would replace any stipend your university provides. That being said, it is higher than most anthropology program stipends. Best of luck!!