Deadlines and stuff...

So I was accepted to UNLV's Math PhD program a couple of weeks ago. They gave me a tentative deadline to accept (March 26th)... but I still haven't heard from any of the other programs I've applied to (the University of South Carolina, Virginia Tech, or the University of Kansas). mellow.gif

Would it be more respectful/tactful to ask UNLV for more time to decide, or to ask the other programs if they've made a decision on my application, yet?

I'm having the same problem! I got notification on Friday that I have until March 26th to accept my offer from University of Kansas, but I'm still waiting to hear from 5 schools. Sorry if I'm keeping you from hearing back from Kansas! I also still need to visit KU, which I emailed someone about, but it appears their spring break is this week so I'm not sure I'll be hearing back. Blerg! I thought the stressful part was supposed to be over.

Both Kansas and UNLV support the "April 15" resolution, which means that the schools should give you until April 15 to accept or decline offers of financial support. I would think that you're better off asking UNLV for an extension of the deadline rather than other schools to hurry with their admission process.

sD.

I think it's perfectly fine to ask about decisions on other schools. My advisor just suggested that I state it nicely that I'm still interested in the program and ask when I should expect a decision on my application.

Echo this: you have until April since they signed on, but it is good manners to ask your other programs your status and informing them that you have an acceptance.

I think it's perfectly fine to ask about decisions on other schools. My advisor just suggested that I state it nicely that I'm still interested in the program and ask when I should expect a decision on my application.

I'd like to reiterate this. I sent out emails to all the schools I hadn't heard from at the end of february and got back an acceptance, a rejection, and a bunch of responses detailing when they expected to send decisions. It can't hurt you, despite what it seems many people feel on this board, so go for it.

Just say something to the effect of "I applied to the graduate program but have yet to hear back. I'm very interested in University of Whatever and I was wondering when I could expect to hear a response"

Where appropriate I changed "very interested" to "top choice" to give more emphasis.

Edited by origin415

I'd like to reiterate this. I sent out emails to all the schools I hadn't heard from at the end of february and got back an acceptance, a rejection, and a bunch of responses detailing when they expected to send decisions. It can't hurt you, despite what it seems many people feel on this board, so go for it.

Just say something to the effect of "I applied to the graduate program but have yet to hear back. I'm very interested in University of Whatever and I was wondering when I could expect to hear a response"

Where appropriate I changed "very interested" to "top choice" to give more emphasis.

I just sent out some e-mails today to the last schools I haven't heard from. While it probably won't help a lot, it at least makes me feel better and helps knowing the status of my application. It's not gonna hurt me.

I got word back from one school already. Sure, it was a rejection in response to my e-mail, but at least I'm not waiting around expecting them to give me a decision when in all reality they just haven't gotten around to telling me I've been rejected.