Which masters program should I accept in schengen area: KTH Stockholm or RWTH Aachen

ali2551

Hello there.

I've managed to apply to Schengen universities for this fall semester and I've got accepted, roughly into 2 of the best among them, thanks to this forum and their guidance.

Now there is some serious head-scratching going on here as to which of these 2 I should choose. Their CS department of these 2 universities seem to be very close to each other in terms of merit. However, my ultimate objective is to pursue a PhD or possibly get directly admitted to work in one of the north american countries (USA or Canada), preferably in data science field.

With that in mind, which of these 2 universities are better for my goals, In terms of recognition among north american companies and universities?

Is it possible for an international student to exchange with a reputable north american university or company while studying in either of these universities?    

Edited by ali2551
Tags added

• 4 weeks later...

A few questions : Could you tell us which programs you got into ? (like the actual name , MSc computer science  , MSc software engg) . Also, for PhD , which area of research are you considering ?

My personal suggestion would be that you should check which if these universities has better research facilities / projects for your specific area of interest , since your research project maybe the main parameter to help you land you a good PhD .

Thank you for the reply.

My research topic is most likely going to be related to deep learning. The actual program name in KTH is computer science and the actual name in RWTH Aachen in software eng. They are slightly different but both have a lot of freedom in choosing courses so I believe this won't be a problem. The only remaining thing that I would require is probably the strictness of the labs which requires some insight experience. For example how strict are they for hiring RA in machine learning? Do they prefer native students and students with native language fluency over English fluent students? How strict are the internships?

And the answer to these questions would definitely shape my opinion. For example if in Germany people are a lot more strict to their nationality and language I would go for Sweden. But if the amount of difference is slight, then I would much prefer to learn German rather than Swedish.

Edited by ali2551

• 5 weeks later...

Hey. Sorry for not replying earlier .

Selection for RA in ML/DL does not require you to know any german at all . Most papers / research in this field is from english speaking countries , so while eg if you want to work in pure maths they may ask you to know some german, for fields like ML that is not asked . English is just fine .

As for job perspective , startups dont care if you dont know german. But more "traditional" german companies expect you to be fluent in german .

Btw German people are not that "strict" about nationality  , and also the "cool" companies are in Berlin which is a totally different (read hip) place, and everyone speaks english there .