Would getting an MSW abroad negatively affect my career in anyway?

I intend on practicing in the USA, but I'd ideally want to see international countries as much as possible after my undergrad study abroad experiences. Would I face any problems practicing in the USA if I get my MSW abroad, say in the UK, Sweden, or Canada? In the medium and long term I want to pursue a career in academia if that changes anything. Thank you for the advice in advance and have a pleasant day!

Edited by curiousfuture

From what I know and have learned from others, social work degrees in other countries do not translate to the US due to differing accreditation requirements. If you plan on becoming a licensed social worker you have to have a degree from an accredited school, our code of ethics would also differ from other countries. For policy positions I assume it might be difficult as well due to the fact that you would have been studying different systems and structures than what is happening in the US. If you want to study international social work there are programs in the US that have strong concentrations in that area and have opportunities to travel to other countries during your studies. 

There are also fellowships for after you graduate that can allow you to travel. My good friend is currently in France working with refugees and she attended UChicago's program and took many classes focused on international social work. 

I'm not sure if this helped but I hope it did! 

• 5 months later...

Canada and the US have an agreement so you can practice social work in the states with a Canadian degree and vice versa. Other countries often require an extra process (application or extra education) to prove the degree's equivalency.. at least in Canada. I was considering doing my MSW abroad and practice in Canada after.

Hope this helps!