Tips/tricks for studying/what to spend the most time on??

MidwestCommDis

Hi friends. I take the GRE in a little less than a month and I’m feeling very very overwhelmed. I know math is my weakness so I’ve been spending a lot of time studying that. But I also know vocab/sentence completion stuff is a huge part of it as well, and from what I’ve heard it’s all ridiculously complex words. I’ve been studying flashcards with new vocab words, but still feeling just very unprepared. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions on what worked well for them when studying? Appreciate it a ton! 

Taking it in a month is good. In all likelihood, you will take it again to improve. Having taken the real test is an excellent step.

Use this in your back of your mind to alleviate any pressure on yourself.

In terms of study, look at your analyses for the timed tests you've done. If you have done Manhattan (or any other reputable company) there will be a breakdown. Notice what the issues might be - is there any specific topic in quant you're consistently missing (probability, combinatorics, sets, geometry etc)? Or a type of question consistently wrong (maybe quant comparison, or logic reasoning for verbal etc)? Focus on those if so. Also, be sure to check out your timing. QC should be < 90s. Notice if you are being "stubborn" on questions. For example, if you are taking 3-4mins on ANY question - that is ridiculous. Know when to say "OK, this one is not my question." and move on. Don't sacrifice your entire GRE score for one question.

Once you've looked at all this stuff. Study that way. Use a timer. Pressure yourself. Do mixed sets as well as focusing on your weaker areas (we all have them, save for 3% of the pop).

Vocab wise - you just have to study 10-20 words day every day. That's it. Swatting won't help.

Good luck.

Edited by mr_grad
gramm

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 5:23 PM, mr_grad said:

Taking it in a month is good. In all likelihood, you will take it again to improve. Having taken the real test is an excellent step.

Use this in your back of your mind to alleviate any pressure on yourself.

In terms of study, look at your analyses for the timed tests you've done. If you have done Manhattan (or any other reputable company) there will be a breakdown. Notice what the issues might be - is there any specific topic in quant you're consistently missing (probability, combinatorics, sets, geometry etc)? Or a type of question consistently wrong (maybe quant comparison, or logic reasoning for verbal etc)? Focus on those if so. Also, be sure to check out your timing. QC should be < 90s. Notice if you are being "stubborn" on questions. For example, if you are taking 3-4mins on ANY question - that is ridiculous. Know when to say "OK, this one is not my question." and move on. Don't sacrifice your entire GRE score for one question.

Once you've looked at all this stuff. Study that way. Use a timer. Pressure yourself. Do mixed sets as well as focusing on your weaker areas (we all have them, save for 3% of the pop).

Vocab wise - you just have to study 10-20 words day every day. That's it. Swatting won't help.

Good luck.

Thanks a ton. Less that a week to go, still feeling pre down about it but I’m an anxious person ? Appreciate the reply! 

Hi, 

I am a complete beginner, recently started preparing for GRE with Manhattan prep set of 8 guides.  I am not good at both quant and verbal and I have done enough research to find the smarter way to prepare for GRE and confused among magoosh, Economist grep prep, empower Gre, Barron online prep. I am using membean to build my vocabulary. Please advise me which course I need to take up as a beginner in both quant and verbal.  

I am a working professional and have 2 months timeline to prepare and I am planning to apply for Masters 2019 Fall. 

Please do the needful.