Rankings, program size, and other worries

gradgirl

I know rankings aren't everything and etc etc... but does anyone happen to have a copy of the most recent US News & World Report rankings for English programs? When I was applying I'd briefly glanced at the 2001 rankings that I'd found online for free, and I guess I'm wondering if they've changed significantly since 2001. I don't care enough to pay for it myself at this point, so if no one has it it's no huge deal.

For some reason I'd thought Syracuse's English program was somewhat decently ranked, and the 2001 list is leading me to believe it's ranked quite a bit lower than most of the other schools I'm still waiting to hear from (like Penn State). I'm feeling really torn because if it comes down to having to pick between a program at a large research university or a smaller private one like Syracuse, I would really lean toward Syracuse--besides liking lots of things about their program I also like the idea of lots of personal attention, and my experience at a private college as an undergrad was MUCH better than my experience at a state university for my MA has been. However, I don't want to pick a program that's a good fit for my comfort level at the expense of not having a competitive degree once I enter the job market.

I guess I'm worried about their small program size because I'm so miserable at my MA program right now. One of the things I hate most about my program is the fact that classes are constantly being dropped and changed due to low enrollment, and I had trouble coming up with even THREE faculty in my area for my thesis committee. I'm a little scared to go somewhere small for my Ph.D. when so many faculty here have been pushing me to get out and go somewhere bigger.

I realize I'm totally putting the cart before the horse here since I may not even GET any acceptances from the other larger programs. But what do you guys think--which is more important, going to a large research university that's highly ranked where I would probably be fine, or going somewhere with small program that's not quite as highly ranked but possibly more my speed? At Penn State I know I'd love it, but there are other schools on my list that I'm not as sure about.

Sorry for the freakout. :( I'm not trying to be whiny or petty, but I just hate not knowing and trying to weigh all these variables... I am thankful I've gotten at least one acceptance, though, and I'm definitely not taking that for granted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Gradgirl... my honest advice is to seriously consider what you want from a PhD and if its worth the years of study to obtain it. English is a verrrrry tough field and without a PhD from a verrrry top program your job propects are going to be verrrrry limited. Not to burst anyones bubble, but alot of people really aren't a good fit for academia. And DEFINATELY do not go into a PhD program without funding. Its just not worth it. My advice would be to publish as much as possible if you really want to get an academic job and then reapply to only top ten schools that will fund you well in your program.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably long overdue, but I thought I'd pitch in a couple of cents' worth, anyway.

English and Humanities in general...tough field. I'm applying for English PhD programs, too. It depends on what you want to do with your PhD. If you want to teach at a top tier research university, your chances are better if you have a degree from one of those universities and you're doing a lot of reseach and publishing. There are tons of schools out there, though. If your interests lie more in teaching than in research, you may be able to find a position at a smaller university or liberal arts college that doesn't emphasize research quite as much. That's what I've gathered from professors I've spoken with.

It sucks that engineering and the sciences get all of the money and job security. But if you are interested in teaching, or if you have questions that you really want to find answers to via research, then go for the PhD. Maybe I'm just a romantic waiting to have my legs taken out from under me by the Real World. Ü