UCSB Political Science

UCSB is my first yes, but I'm an international student and there's no way I can pay for tuitions. I was expecting some kind of package, instead, I'm told :

At this point our budget situation is unclear, so I'm not sure what amount of funding (if any) we will be able to offer to you should you decide to attend. We may not know how much funding we can offer to you until after the April 15th deadline. I can tell you that in past years we have been able to find some amount of funding for every student in good academic standing in our program, usually one or more teaching assistantship in each year of graduate study.

I really don't want to start making loans. I might be able to save money for one quarter but that's it. Without a stipend, I wouldn't even be able to pay for my rent.

Anyone in the same situation? Any advice?

I'm still waiting to hear from UCR, UCLA and U of Florida. I'll go wherever I get funding...

UCSB is my first yes, but I'm an international student and there's no way I can pay for tuitions. I was expecting some kind of package, instead, I'm told :

At this point our budget situation is unclear, so I'm not sure what amount of funding (if any) we will be able to offer to you should you decide to attend. We may not know how much funding we can offer to you until after the April 15th deadline. I can tell you that in past years we have been able to find some amount of funding for every student in good academic standing in our program, usually one or more teaching assistantship in each year of graduate study.

I really don't want to start making loans. I might be able to save money for one quarter but that's it. Without a stipend, I wouldn't even be able to pay for my rent.

Anyone in the same situation? Any advice?

I'm still waiting to hear from UCR, UCLA and U of Florida. I'll go wherever I get funding...

Because of the current fiscal crisis of the UC system, most departments are reluctant to promise aid. Nevertheless, there is a good chance you'll get funding. You should anticipate, however, that funding won't mitigate all financial obligations and you'll likely need to find supplemental aid, presumably from loans.

Because of the current fiscal crisis of the UC system, most departments are reluctant to promise aid. Nevertheless, there is a good chance you'll get funding. You should anticipate, however, that funding won't mitigate all financial obligations and you'll likely need to find supplemental aid, presumably from loans.

Yeah that definitely doesn't look good. Did you get a funding package from UCSB? I just talked to advisors at my home university (UW) about fellowships, they told me it might be too late for that now but I don't have much to lose. Also looking whether I might be able to TA for other departments as I have taught French here before, you never know...

You will not get funding from a UC. It is simple as that. California won't allow you to establish residency, which means any UC that admits you will have to shell out the full $40,000 or whatever for you each year that you are there. While they are willing to pay that for the first year while you establish residency if you are moving from within the United States, they won't do that for any year if you are coming from a different location.

Better hope for Florida.

By the way, you've been rejected from UCLA. I'm not sure why they haven't told you that yet, but their admissions process is well over at this point.

You will not get funding from a UC. It is simple as that. California won't allow you to establish residency, which means any UC that admits you will have to shell out the full $40,000 or whatever for you each year that you are there. While they are willing to pay that for the first year while you establish residency if you are moving from within the United States, they won't do that for any year if you are coming from a different location.

Better hope for Florida.

By the way, you've been rejected from UCLA. I'm not sure why they haven't told you that yet, but their admissions process is well over at this point.

Yeah. I figured about UCLA. Given that I'm an international student, I'm not sure why the fact that I'm moving from within the US or not is an important factor (I would be moving from Seattle to California).

Better hope for Florida.

I am currently in the UC system (MA student). The department was not even sure about our stipends (And they in fact fired on TA). So, yes, you will most probably not get funding at all (you might get a TA position where they pay you around $10-$15 an hour - 20 hrs/wk).

Better hope for Florida.

I am currently in the UC system (MA student). The department was not even sure about our stipends (And they in fact fired on TA). So, yes, you will most probably not get funding at all (you might get a TA position where they pay you around $10-$15 an hour - 20 hrs/wk).

I just want to echo the point made above. I'm also in the UC system and the budget situation is ridiculous. If you have stellar stats you might be in luck for a funding package but you probably should not expect to receive a multi-year package. I also attended undergrad at UCSB and can tell you the cost of living can be astronomical so keep that in mind when/if you receive a funding package. Basically, all of the UCs are hurting....really think about any offer you accept.

I got a funding package from UCSB, and if I accept the offer I'll be struggling financially. I know what I got is probably generous considering the budget crisis, but to be a resident with a funding package and still need to come up with money for tuition and living is frustrating. A job on the side will likely have to happen.

I got a funding package from UCSB, and if I accept the offer I'll be struggling financially. I know what I got is probably generous considering the budget crisis, but to be a resident with a funding package and still need to come up with money for tuition and living is frustrating. A job on the side will likely have to happen.

Is it a multi-year package? I know that living on campus at UCSB will be expensive but I've lived off my stipend for the past 2 years. Can't say that I've saved a lot of money but I'm not complaining either. If I get enough for a full year, I'll probably go. It should give me enough time to meet Professors and convince them I'm worthy of a TAship.

Apparently, I might also get into UCR. I'm an international student and don't know that much about the UC system. UCSB vs. UCR, is it a no-brainer?