Will I be able to become a school psychologist?

SchoolPsychGuy

Hey everyone, 

I'm new to the forum! I have a question that I figured this forum might be able to help me with:)

I graduated in 2016 with an honors degree (with thesis) in Sociology. I also completed 45 credits (15 full classes) in psychology, which included many courses that were necessary for an honors in psychology, along with upper-level classes. I graduated with a 4.07 out of 4.3 overall GPA, but my GPA in psychology courses was nearly perfect (4.28). I just completed my bachelor of education degree and ended with a 4.2 out of 4.3 GPA. 

I always had a strong interest in psychology (school psychology in particular), but after completing my education degree my passion has only grown. I have a few learning disabilities (dyslexia and dysgraphia), so I have personal experience dealing with the kind of issues that school psychologists work with. I have quite extensive research experience during my undergraduate years, and I have spent time volunteering at schools in the area. 

My question isIf I apply to school psychology programs, will I have a shot of getting in, despite the fact that my undergraduate degree is in sociology? If anyone has any insight, I would really appreciate it! Thanks so much :) 

Yes. Make a compelling case for why you want to apply and what you want to do with your degree. Many people switch fields for graduate school.

On 7/17/2018 at 7:30 PM, t_ruth said:

Yes. Make a compelling case for why you want to apply and what you want to do with your degree. Many people switch fields for graduate school.

Thanks very much! Is that even if the school has certain course requirements that I do not meet? For example, some school psychology programs in Canada require that you have taken courses in specific areas of psychology (e.g., one 3-credit course in Biological Psychology)? I have many credits in psychology, but not allllllll of the specific ones :)

3 minutes ago, SchoolPsychGuy said:

Thanks very much! Is that even if the school has certain course requirements that I do not meet? For example, some school psychology programs in Canada require that you have taken courses in specific areas of psychology (e.g., one 3-credit course in Biological Psychology)? I have many credits in psychology, but not allllllll of the specific ones :)

If it is a hard requirement, then obviously take that specific course before applying. But not all programs have the same requirements, right? You likely meet the entrance requirements for some.