LOR for PhD Program

p287

Question

I am applying to an interdisciplinary PhD program that combines creative fields, the humanities, and traditional academic research. The program stresses applied research and requires professional experience in the field. I am doing very well in my graduate program (4.0 GPA going into my final year of grad school); but have not become particularly close with many profs, as I have been working in my field while in school. The PhD program requires three LORs for admissions... would it be acceptable to include one from a professional colleague/supervisor in the field if the other two are from profs?

1 answer to this question

This heavily depends on the program and the school. Some departments will say it's okay but that they prefer all letters be from academics; some will have no preference either way and some state that your letter writers all be professors. I think the biggest reasons are because someone in academia knows what it's like to get through a similar program and they can better compare you to previous students.