MPP programs and chances?

2shieh

Hey everyone! I realize that this I can't expect to get a concrete answer for my questions... but I'm getting anxious and worried about my chances at grad school. I'm looking into different MPP/MPA programs and am anticipating entering grad school for fall 2011. Graduated in June 2008, undergrad GPA of 3.54 (3.66 upper div major GPA) from top 40 university with a major in International Studies and minor in Accounting. I plan to apply to these schools for an environmental policy concentration:

University of Washington

UC Berkeley

Cornell

Brown

USC

UCLA

University of Oregon

Some class profiles found on the websites of the schools above generally show a 3.6 GPA average and a 710+ GRE quant score and 600+ verbal score.

I only have about a year and a half of professional work experience in an unrelated field, but have done a lot of volunteer work since high school with an internationally operating NGO and have had a leadership role in this organization over the past year. (My involvement with this NGO is actually why I decided to pursue an MPP.) I also currently have an internship/volunteer position with a local environmental restoration group. I have excellent letters of rec from these experiences and also have excellent academic letters of rec from undergrad.

So here are my questions/concerns:

1. Is the number of programs I plan to apply to enough? And are there any other programs that I should consider?

2. With my current stats, do I have a chance at these programs?

3. Will my lack of professional experience in public policy be a factor as an applicant?

4. Given that I haven't taken the GRE's yet... will my score make or break my application?

Again, I don't expect any concrete answers, but these questions have been swirling in my head for the past couple months. Any comments/suggestions/answers are helpful. Thanks everyone!

Given your apparent lack of Environmental course work, I would beef your academic work up with some upper division science/environmental classes taken on a non-degree, for credit basis. Check with each program for more info on their focus.