Hunter College Silberman School of Social Work

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice. I applied to the Silberman School of Social Work today, but I am very worried! First of all, I did the application in the summer because I just completed my last undergraduate class this summer and unfortunately was not able to get in touch with my intern mentor and therefore had reccomendations sent from two professors I recently took psychology courses with. Do you think not having a reccomendation from an internship will effect the application? Where did everyone else get their reccomendations from? Also, I’m worried I won’t get accepted because my gpa is just about 3.2 and I only did two internships that would be deemed relevant. I did three total internships, but one isn’t as relevant as the others, but I was able to grab some skills from it, which I explained in my personal statement. Does anyone know the turn around time or acceptance rate? If anyone has advice, that would be great. Thanks!! 

Are you applying for Fall? Because if so the deadline has passed. i believe the deadline was June 1st. I went to a info session where they explained June 1st was the cut off date.

You can always apply for the Spring Semester. They are definitely done taking applications this term. That will then give you time to work on your personal statement and letters of recommendations.

Hunter hovers around a 30-40 % acceptance rate, you also have to go through a rigorous interview process if your invited to the interview (not everyone is). After the interview is over they notify you of your status in their program. Hunter gets the most applications of all the NYC social work schools because of the affordability, prestige and rigorous program. But its also a very large program.

if you apply to other schools in the city you will have a much easier time getting in. Hunter is one of the most challenging programs to get into in the country. Columbia, Fordham, Yeshiva, NYU, Adelphi all have much higher acceptance rates. Lehman and CSI are also both harder to get into.

I didn't choose to go to Hunter but if I had to do the application process all over again I would really make sure that essay is up to snuff and get good letters of recommendation. Relevant work experience is also a big factor. So I would try to find experience relevant to the field before starting in the spring.

And I cannot stress this enough, always, always, have a back up plan. Don't go into grad applications and only apply to Hunter, because you risk not getting in. (A lot of people don't get into Hunter). Off the top of my head I'd recommended applying to Lehman's program, Stony Brook and Fordham if you plan to stay downstate. 

Edited by Dansir