Contacting Professors

Ardavan93

Question

Hi 

I started contacting professors from the US and Canada two days ago. Some of them replied to my email but others opened the email and didn't respond. What should I do? Should I contact other professors?

Thanks

2 answers to this question

Nothing hurts in contacting other professors if you have other professors you are interested in contacting, but you should also give those professors who opened the email and didn't respond immediately some more time to respond to that email. It may be that they read your email but currently didn't have time to answer and will reply when they get the time. I know when I contacted professors they usually got back to me within a week but sometimes within 2 weeks. If they take longer than 2 weeks it probably wouldn't hurt to send one follow-up email to see if they possibly just simply failed to see or respond to your first email.

Follow up after a week or two with those that didn't respond. They may still not respond, and that's your hint to give up, but they may have just forgotten about the email or it got lost among the hundreds of emails they get daily. If you have other faculty of interest you want to speak with, go for it, but don't contact people you aren't interested in.