similar to the "it's too late, isn't it?" thread

northlandz

but somewhat different.

I really can't enroll in any PhD program without funding. My top choice, School A, where I feel is the best fit for me, says that they aren't sure if funding is available for me and won't know until "late April". My dilemma stems from the fact that School B offers funding BUT wants a decision from me by April 15. Rolling the dice and turning down School B with the hope that School A offers funding a week or two later is the epitome of possibly cutting off your nose to spite your face.

My question: Let's say that I accept School B's offer to be "safe" but a week later School A offers me funding, how does one go about getting out of the situation with School B? Are there penalties that I am unaware of for pulling such a move, or just the bad taste of having jerked people at School B around?

Edited by northlandz

If you still haven't heard when the deadline is closer, tell B the situation and ask if you can be given some extra time. The CGS resolution just says you aren't obliged to respond until 4/15, departments themselves are likely friendlier and will understand your predicament.

Although its pretty rude, there is really nothing B can do to stop you from pulling out of your commitment if it comes to that, but I'm sure they will prefer you telling them they are your choice if A doesn't work out rather than committing and pulling out.

Edited by origin415

I recommend asking for more time. It would be a very bad thing, in my opinion, to accept the offer and then withdraw it. Someone did that in my department once and the faculty was furious, especially for a reason such as this. They for sure will remember her name for a long time to come. Faculty members in your field may be your colleagues one day (if you go into academia) and you don't want the reason they recognize your name to be this reason.

Depending on how many times you've emailed School A, it may not be a bad idea to email them on April 15th and ask if there is any update on funding. They may be waiting for applicants to turn down offers and release that funding for another student.

I am in a similar position to the OP, except that I pretty much know that I won't hear from School A until quite a bit later, maybe as late as early summer. Arg. And I feel like a jerk for waffling, because my School B has been very upfront about asking admitted people to decide quickly so they can spread around as much funding as possible.

For me the question is: do you like School B? Can you see yourself being happy there? If the answer is yes, if you still have no funding from School A by April 15th, I would take B's offer and run. If you like the school, you don't want to tick off the faculty and such later, because academia is a small world and you almost certainly WILL run into them again. And like sciencegal said, this is not the reason you want them to remember you.

For me, I don't think I could ever consider going to school without funding, and it makes me uneasy in general when schools accept people without funding. I don't think that says good things about their program/administration. I say that coming from a school that often does the same thing for grad students, and I have heard some very strong faculty opinions on why you should never accept students and not fund them. To me it says they are more about making money than the supporting the students, which is not the best philosophy for a department.

For me the question is: do you like School B? Can you see yourself being happy there? If the answer is yes, if you still have no funding from School A by April 15th, I would take B's offer and run. If you like the school, you don't want to tick off the faculty and such later, because academia is a small world and you almost certainly WILL run into them again. And like sciencegal said, this is not the reason you want them to remember you.

This.

Also, have you visited Schools A & B, and, if not, would that be feasible for you?

There are several folks in these fora that have shared stories of visiting their dream schools and finding them to be lacking. On the other hand, you may visit School B and realize it's not the place for you and that it's worth foregoing their offer for the possibility of going to School A. Either way, getting a first hand taste might help clarify things for you, if, again, you haven't done so already. Good luck!

For me, I don't think I could ever consider going to school without funding, and it makes me uneasy in general when schools accept people without funding. I don't think that says good things about their program/administration. I say that coming from a school that often does the same thing for grad students, and I have heard some very strong faculty opinions on why you should never accept students and not fund them. To me it says they are more about making money than the supporting the students, which is not the best philosophy for a department.

Or it means they are a UC, and this is atypical for them but, in my subfield, they're stuck with it this year. Or so I am told. >_< It sounds somewhat as though it was either admit someone without guaranteed funding or admit no one at all.

My School A faculty contact tells me the dept. can probably 'cobble together' some funding after the first year. But if the first year didn't come through, I'd be stuck without in the one year I'd have to pay out-of-state tuition.

Trying to scrape up some cash to visit, so we'll see.