Is it Ok not to join the lab you originally contacted?

Roi1

Hi I am an international Ph.D student starting  the umbrella program this fall. I have a question to ask.

Before the admission, I contacted the professor whom I thought doing interesting research.

We shared several emails and I met the PI during the interview weekend.

I told the PI I strongly want to join his lab and he also was very responsive.

I told the PI that I want to start my first rotation in his lab (We join three rotation lab and select the lab)

and he agreed very positively. Later on, after talking with students,

I found out his mentoring style, research interest doesn't fit to me.

I can just stay in his lab for three month but it can be pretty stressful period. (I heard too many stories from the students)

I don't want to join his lab as a rotation student, but I think it can be pretty rude behavior and the PI might feel bit upset to me.

The PI is also very notorious for his temper.

Would this be Ok not to join the PI's lab after the communications during admission process?

Is it considered rude or is it so common that the student change his mind?

This can be very rude behavior in my country but I am wondering it is same in US.

Edited by Roi1

From what I've heard, it's totally common for people to change their minds about lab interests. I don't think you should judge entirely based on what you've heard from others. If the research interests fit and you had good interactions with him, why not just do a rotation? If the rotation doesn't go well, you'll both recognize that and he can't hold it over you.