Sorting out Potential Recommenders?

Is it a mistake to ask a professor for a recommendation if you've only had a single upper-level course with them? Or if you are currently taking a course with them?

As an undergraduate student at a public university with a fairly large English department, I'm now finding it difficult to figure out who, if any, professors of mine will feel comfortable writing me letters of recommendation when I apply this fall. Because the majority of instructors I had my freshman and sophomore years were grad student instructors/TAs, I've ended up having less than three faculty member professors for more than a single course. So, naturally, I'm worried about who my third recommendation will come from.

Would it be out of the question to take a course with a professor this fall and ask them for a recommendation while I am in the course? I am considering taking one course fall semester with a professor that I had my sophomore year in a large lecture course (once the prof singled out my writing, but I doubt she otherwise remembers me). This would give me the opportunity to work with her more closely before asking if she could write an LOR, but, alas, I've heard that it's not advisable to ask a prof for a rec until after you've taken an entire course with them (post-grade, etcetera). Would it be out of the question if I asked for an LOR from a professor in this situation?

Would it be better for me to ask for LORs from other professors with which I've completed a single upper-level courses, even though it was only one class?

Or, more generally, for those have applied in the past, what professors did you ask for LORs (how many classes, if they share your proposed field, their faculty status, etc), and how did things turn out? Is there anything you would avoid or recommend in regard to LOR choices?

Edited by ecritdansleau

Assuming that the professor is one in your focus area, I would contact them and explain that you're planning to take their course, that you are using it primarily as an opportunity either to produce a strong writing sample for graduate applications next year, and that you think it matches well with your interests. Make it clear that you're on top of things -- ask for a syllabus in advance, show that you an eager and capable student, etc. You may even opt to meet before the term starts and discuss your interests and goals (i.e. grad school).

During the course of the quarter, work closely with this professor without being smothering to produce a strong writing sample. If you're able to develop a strong academic relationship, then I think you will be in a good position to ask for a recommendation before the end of the term.

Is it a mistake to ask a professor for a recommendation if you've only had a single upper-level course with them? Or if you are currently taking a course with them?

As an undergraduate student at a public university with a fairly large English department, I'm now finding it difficult to figure out who, if any, professors of mine will feel comfortable writing me letters of recommendation when I apply this fall. Because the majority of instructors I had my freshman and sophomore years were grad student instructors/TAs, I've ended up having less than three faculty member professors for more than a single course. So, naturally, I'm worried about who my third recommendation will come from.

Would it be out of the question to take a course with a professor this fall and ask them for a recommendation while I am in the course? I am considering taking one course fall semester with a professor that I had my sophomore year in a large lecture course (once the prof singled out my writing, but I doubt she otherwise remembers me). This would give me the opportunity to work with her more closely before asking if she could write an LOR, but, alas, I've heard that it's not advisable to ask a prof for a rec until after you've taken an entire course with them (post-grade, etcetera). Would it be out of the question if I asked for an LOR from a professor in this situation?

Would it be better for me to ask for LORs from other professors with which I've completed a single upper-level courses, even though it was only one class?

Or, more generally, for those have applied in the past, what professors did you ask for LORs (how many classes, if they share your proposed field, their faculty status, etc), and how did things turn out? Is there anything you would avoid or recommend in regard to LOR choices?

it may be better to ask someone who knows you better. some grad school apps are due as early as mid-december and you'll need to notify your LOR writers early so you may face the problem of not having that much class time with the prof. you're going to be competing against people with *stellar* recs (recommendation inflation maybe?) and you need people that can really vouch for your work ethic, research capabilities and writing.

I'm sure one ref that you only had briefly is fine. The paths of undergrad studies are manifold, and adcoms are surely aware of this. I had clear choices for two of my refs, but took only one small course for my third one, just a month or so prior to him writing the LOR -- but it worked out.

If you have two solid refs that know you well, I wouldn't worry too much if the third one doesn't. IMHO.

Edited by p7389

Ecritdansleu, I thought of writing this in Lacanian terms (was it Lacan who wrote Ecrit?) but instead I will go with regular ole English :)

Sometimes, profs will let you see/edit recs. Pay special note of those - that is gold. I had a letter from a department head that wasn't as awesome as I thought it would be, but only saw it after it was too late.

Here is what I did. When I met with my faculty re: LOR's I let them know that the course design at the program made it difficult to ever study with any given professor more than once. I told them I was worried that may affect how PhD programs saw my application. This little nugget resulted in two of my letter writers noting that students rarely get to study more than once with a given professor. I think it takes the edge off of the short exposure issue. And it makes them remember that they are part of designing this issue, and you shouldn't have to pay for it. And if they let you edit, you can add that in.

For what it's worth.

I asked one of my professors for a recommendation during my first class with her last fall. she didn't seem at all worried that we'd only had the one (incomplete) semester together.

At the same time, though, that class wasn't the first time I'd had interaction with her. I'd seen her give an informal talk a year before, and I was introduced to her the semester before by another professor of mine, so when I brought up those instances to her she remembered me, generally.

I think that as long as you show that you're performing well in the class, then it shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess that in a seminar, active participation would go very far in making a great impression. There's also grading to look into, since for my class I'd already handed in 2 of the 3 papers for the semester by the time the professor wrote the recommendation, meaning she was familiar with my work.

I would hesitate to tell a professor that you want to use a paper from that class for your writing sample, however, because with some application due dates being mid- or early December, that doesn't give much time to work on and perfect the writing sample that hasn't even been assigned yet. (This is, of course, assuming that you are taking the class in the fall semester in which applications go out. If it's before application season, then I think such a mention would be fine.)

Assuming that the professor is one in your focus area, I would contact them and explain that you're planning to take their course, that you are using it primarily as an opportunity either to produce a strong writing sample for graduate applications next year, and that you think it matches well with your interests. Make it clear that you're on top of things -- ask for a syllabus in advance, show that you an eager and capable student, etc. You may even opt to meet before the term starts and discuss your interests and goals (i.e. grad school).

During the course of the quarter, work closely with this professor without being smothering to produce a strong writing sample. If you're able to develop a strong academic relationship, then I think you will be in a good position to ask for a recommendation before the end of the term.

This.

I did something similar during my application process, and it was really nice because the professor was both very familiar with my writing sample and well-connected (and well-versed!) in my field of interest, two things that could only have helped during the letter writing process. The main drawback is having less time to make an impression, but if you follow straightshooting's advice, your potential recommender will likely be favorably impressed with your drive, direction, and genuine interest in their field.