Fall 2019 Profile evaluation/school choices

I'm going to be applying fro statistics phd programs, and I'd like an honest opinion of where I'd have a realistic shot. All advice (no matter how brutal) is appreciated. 

Undergrad Institution: Top 20 undergrad (US news)
Major(s):  Applied  Math and Statistics
GPA: 3.51

Type of Student: American (Indian descent) Male

GRE General Test: 
V: 164
Q: 167
W: 4.0

Intended program: PhD in Statistics

Research Experience: Year long senior statistics capstone project which involved applied statistics and data analytics for a large company. I was part of a team of students that worked under 2 professors. Both of them are fairly accomplished, and will be writing my recommendations. 

LORS: two from research profs, and one from graduate math prof

Coursework: 
Calc2/3 (B+,B) (I retook calc 3 at another university post graduation and got an A); Linear Algebra (C+) (retaken at another university post graduation and got an A); Probability (B+); Abstract Vector Spaces(Very Theoretical linear algebra) (A-); Intro to proofs (A); Mathematical Stats (A-); Real Analysis 1/2 (B,B); Graduate complex analysis (A); Graduate Real Analysis (Measure Theory) (A); Time series (B); Generalized linear models (B); Numerical Analysis (A); Partial Differential Equations (A); Differential Equations (A); regression analysis (A).

Current position: Business analytics at a small company in NYC

My interests are all over the place, but I'm not super into bio statistics because it seems like a very niche route and I'd like to have a more "generalist" background. I'm definitely not going to be looking at Harvard and Berkeley (Or anything in the top 10 for that matter), but I'm having a tough time placing myself. Thoughts? I'd like to try and avoid a masters programs because of the cost. 

Given that you went to a good school, clearly have a strong math background even with some shaky grades, if you think you will have some good recommendations I would say to apply to a range of schools in the 40-70 range, maybe with some reaches a little higher, and some master's programs. 

Sounds about right! I know that while my gpa is above a 3.5, it's still lower than a ton of applicants, so that has definitely been a point of stress. Really hoping my experience with graduate level math and my recs get me through the door. Sometimes I feel like the only place I may have a realistic shot is at the bottom of the barrel lol

My GPA was the same as yours and I got into top 20 programs with strong letters and research.  I wouldn't give up hope, but you will probably have very mixed results (eg, I got into top 10 programs but was rejected from programs in the 40s).  I think you should submit more apps than the average applicant to increase your exposure because the results will be more over the place.

That inspires some confidence, thank you! I'm a little surprised though; there are a few threads on this website that list down profiles and admission results, and everyone seemed to have 3.8+ gpas with research experience. It just begs the question as to how the admissions game works.

Edited by statislife
Misspelling