2019 Statistics PhD/MS Profile

Undergrad Institution: Top 50 Liberal Arts College
Student-Athlete
Major: Mathematics and Economics
Concentration: Statistics
GPA: 3.63/4.0
Major (MSCS) GPA: 3.63/4.0

Type of Student: Domestic Male
Relevant Courses: Calculus II (A), Multi-Variate Calculus (B), Linear Algebra I, II (B+), Statistical Modeling (B+), Advanced Statistical Modeling (A), Computer Science for Science / Math - R / Python (A), Probability Theory (B-), Statistical Theory (B+), Software Design (A), Real Analysis (B+), Modern Computational Mathematics (A-), Algorithms for Decision Making (A), Econometrics I (A), Mathematics for Finance (B+), MSCS Research Methods (A)

GRE: 
166Q
152V
4.0A

Programs Applying:  Statistics PhD / Masters

Research Experience: 
- 2 years working in our Center for Interdisciplinary Research. Worked on 2 separate year long research projects with other students / professors and resulted in  one paper. Held consulting hours for students working on research projects in any discipline. Weekly seminar hours discussing a wide variety of statistical consulting ideas.
- 1 Summer of Research at said Liberal Arts College. Ended with a few presentations in front of small liberal arts professors, a poster and a paper.
- Participated in (via presentations and papers) and attended multiple statistics conferences over the years.

Teaching Experience: Student taught a 5 week pilot R programming series course. Teaching Assistant for our Advanced Statistical Modeling Course (GLMs, etc.)

Work Experience: Catastrophe Modeler (Modeling Natural Disasters i.e. Hurricanes, EQ, etc.). Co-founded, manage, and contribute statistical analysis to a sports analytics blog.

Recommendation Letters: Three; one from the dean of natural sciences at my school and two from other statistics professors. Think these should be relatively strong.

Awards: Cum Laude, Statistically Significant Award (Top Statistics Student Award), Best Statistics Song Award 

Coding Experience: R, Python, Tableau, C++, C#, Javascript (D3), VBA, Pearl

Research Interests: ML, Bayesian, Spatial, Time Series, Regression Analysis Methods

Applying to:  (Preliminary)

Statistics PhD:

- Colorado State

- UC Santa Barbara

- UT Austin

- Oregon State

- SDSU

- Pittsburgh

Statistics Masters

- Minnesota

- Wisconsin

Feedback Request:

• Given my resume, how do you rate my odds of getting into my list of schools? 
  • Any thoughts / suggestions on other programs that I should look at or any other commentary on the schools I am planning to apply to?
  • Should I retake the GRE?

1.) Your grades in multivariate calculus, linear algebra, probability theory, and real analysis might make it difficult to crack some of those PhD programs, but I think you have a fair shot at getting into at least one of them. I don't think you'll have a problem getting into either of those master's programs.

2.) I think your list for statistics is fair, but I'd maybe add one or two "safeties" (probably around 40-50 in the UNSWR rankings). If you have the funds, it'd be best to apply to around 10 programs in my opinion. I know money is always an issue, but the marginal benefit exceeds the marginal cost in most cases.

3.) Don't waste your time retaking the GRE. Your score is more than sufficient, and not going to make or break your application.