Advice for masters

mfu8592

I'm looking into applying for the experimental psychology program at RIT, and I am hoping I can get some advice and guidance. I'm wondering what kind of jobs I can expect to get with this degree (my focus would be either forensics or social psych), and if it's really worth it to persue. I've been doing my research through reading a lot of articles and talking with the director of the program, but it all seems like "this is your career path in a best case scenario" and I want to be realistic about my expectations. I'm also hoping to work full time through the program, but I also don't want to totally screw myself and take on too much since the program also automatically offers a research assistantship. But I can't really afford not to have a full time job (which I assume is normal). 

Any tips or guidance is greatly appreciated! I'm feeling apprehensive about potentially wasting so much money if it's not likely it'll pay off in the end. Experimental psych sounds perfect for me though. Decisions, decisions!

-M

What kind of job are you looking to get? Sometimes it's easier to pick what you want to do and then work backwards. With an experimental psych MA, there really isn't a whole lot you can do. A lot of full time researchers have PhDs rather than MAs. 

• 3 months later...

What specifically about Experimental Psychology are you interested in? I am in an Experimental Psychology PhD program that is fully funded with a stipend, and you get your Master's along the way as well. I believe we have an opening in our lab coming up for Fall 2019-- message me if interested.