Transferring in the Middle of Program

newcement

Hi there,

I was curious if others had any experience transferring from one seminary/divinity school to another mid-program? I am 26 credits into my MA (Theological Studies) program at a local, ATS-accredited seminary. Though it's a respected program and institution locally, there has been much upheaval in the past couple years (change of seminary name, curriculum revision, loss/firing of several professors & dean, and now a change in physical location) and I think it best to transfer. Also, when I began my theological training, I didn't consider moving out-of-state.

I have since learned of several top programs that accept transfer credits. I am considering applying to the MDiv programs at Princeton, U. Of Boston, Wake-Forest, Union, Emory (Candler), and Vanderbilt to start in Fall 2019. Has anyone had the experience of transferring; did it bear any negative effects upon your prospects at your program of choice?

A little bit about me:

Undergrad GPA: 3.4; Major (BA Psychology) GPA: 3.7; GRE: V 88th percentile, Q 61st percentile, Essay 60th percentile

Graduate GPA: 4.0; currently have an article submitted for publication with another on the way

Several years experience in church ministry and with nonprofits.

I expect strong Letters and aim to write a strong SOP as well.

Edited by newcement

I don't know what the process is, but its certainly possible. I can think of at least 4 or 5 people who transferrred into my M.Div program while I was there. Likely best to contact admissions at the schools in question and find out how it works.

3 hours ago, Rabbit Run said:

I don't know what the process is, but its certainly possible. I can think of at least 4 or 5 people who transferrred into my M.Div program while I was there. Likely best to contact admissions at the schools in question and find out how it works.

Thanks @Rabbit Run. That’s encouraging to hear that others have done it successfully. I have looked through several programs’ policies regarding transfer credit. It seems painless enough, though some programs (Yale) don’t allow you to attempt to transfer credit until you are already matriculated. I was curious if programs tend to look favorably (or not) upon transfer applicants.

Edited by newcement