What should you consider when applying to MS Statistics programs?

Do the graduate statistics rankings play a huge role in the quality of the MS program (I assumed these rankings were more important for PhD programs)?

What about rigor of courseload, industry/academia placement, etc?

If you could share your own thought process for choosing schools then I would be very grateful :)

Depends on the school. Stanford and Chicago stick out to me as top MS programs where they also have top PhD program. Columbia, on the other hand, runs an MS program that is very large and not well-regarded. Michigan has a top PhD program but their MS is in applied statistics and has basically no theory whatsoever. Really depends.

On 8/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, theduckster said:

Do the graduate statistics rankings play a huge role in the quality of the MS program (I assumed these rankings were more important for PhD programs)?

What about rigor of courseload, industry/academia placement, etc?

If you could share your own thought process for choosing schools then I would be very grateful :)

One of the bigger considerations is if it's applied or not. Applied statistics programs replace a lot of the theory with programming, consulting, and projects.  This is good if you want to go straight into industry, but doesn't help you much if you want to get a PhD. I chose an applied program because it fit in with my career goals. 

Pay attention to the prereqs if you're looking at applied stats programs. Some have the same requirements as regular stats programs, and others require very little math (a single semester of calc). The applied program I'm in is using multivariable calc and linear algebra from day one, so I'm skeptical of what the programs with fewer requirements are teaching students.

Edited by dmacfour

On top of the other posts I would consider what your post-graduation plans are. What industry? Where do you want to live? How flexible are you? If placement of their students isn't online you could email and ask. Otherwise you could check professors' CVs for what master theses they advised and search where they ended up.