Exchange Programs as a PhD Student

derphilosoph

Many schools appear to have partnerships or exchange programs with other schools. For example, the IvyPlus program allows students to "study and work with faculty" at another school. What exactly is the purpose of these programs? Would it be to take a class with a professor in the hopes of trying to get them on as an external reader? Or is it more beneficial to take it after passing quals, as one contributor mentioned here? Perhaps I'm reading too much into this program, but I'd be interested to learn about others' views on how to take full advantage of this and other exchange programs.

Do let me know if this question has already been answered. Thank you very much!

When I was accepted to upenn someone mentioned this program and suggested it's more about working for a year in another university's lab (so not that relevant to history). I've found that I don't need any official exchange program to work with faculty at other schools. The consortium (https://gsas.nyu.edu/content/nyu-as/gsas/academics/inter-university-doctoral-consortium.html) is useful but I've also had students from non-consortium schools in my classes and I'm taking a class at a non-consortium school because IRL if you have a decent relationship with a professor at your school who's friends with a professor you want to know elsewhere, they can help you to make that connection. Short story: I wouldn't spend much energy thinking about this.