AW3.0, should I retake?

zjmfrank2012

Hi guys, I think I need your advice. 

I am a senior physics student applying for Physics/Biophysics Ph.D. 2019Fall. I have tried twice in GRE. Didn't prepare much because of schoolwork and research for both times. The results are as follows:

1st 2017 Nov. V157/Q164/AW3.0

2nd 2018 July V155/Q170/AW3.0

I am wondering if I should retake because AW3.0 seems to be low.

But on the other hand, I am currently busy doing my summer research, hoping to get a LoR. And after the semester begins, I will be an F-1 visiting student and have to take 12 credits (hoping to get another LoR) while continuing my summer research project and doing applications. I am not sure if I could get V155+ this time so I cannot solely focus on AW.  I don't think I would be able to do all these things at the same time.

I don't know how AW is going to affect my application. I have heard different opinions on the effect. Could you please give me suggestions on whether I should retake?

Thanks in advance.

As someone currently in a Biochem/Biophysics PhD program, your scores currently are actually pretty good. The GRE is one portion of an application, so your LOR, experience, pubs, and GPA are all going to play an equally important part. I'd say if you have good research experience (which it sounds like you're getting), with a decent GPA, good LORs you should be fine. With a score like that, I wouldn't retake it. 

AW isn't that important when it comes to Biophysics, the main focus is the quant section. However that being said, writing is incredibly important in science. In grad school, you may (depending on your PI) have a big role in writing your own pubs, and you'll be writing your dissertation. So outside of the GRE, I'd say being able to write well is as important as your mathematical capabilities (in biophysics). 

15 hours ago, samman1994 said:

As someone currently in a Biochem/Biophysics PhD program, your scores currently are actually pretty good. The GRE is one portion of an application, so your LOR, experience, pubs, and GPA are all going to play an equally important part. I'd say if you have good research experience (which it sounds like you're getting), with a decent GPA, good LORs you should be fine. With a score like that, I wouldn't retake it. 

AW isn't that important when it comes to Biophysics, the main focus is the quant section. However that being said, writing is incredibly important in science. In grad school, you may (depending on your PI) have a big role in writing your own pubs, and you'll be writing your dissertation. So outside of the GRE, I'd say being able to write well is as important as your mathematical capabilities (in biophysics). 

Hi Samman,

Thank you very much for your advice. It's very useful! I think I will not retake now. But I definitely will start my writing training when the whole application things are over.