Importance of Publications (Molecular/Cellular Biology PhD)

hostgenetics

Hi All,

I am concerned primarily about my lack of publications and how that affects my chances at top programs in molecular/cellular biology. The large portion of my research experience has been in industry where publishing is not common unfortunately. I'm hoping to convey my knowledge and interest in research through my personal statement and my CV. I've done some fairly thorough dives into various programs around the US and have had really productive conversations with PI's at the schools I'm interested in below followed by some relevant parts of my research experience and application. I was hoping some people on this could shed some light about how I may stack up among applicants with my lack of publications?

Schools of Interest:
1. University of Washington - MCB Program
2. UCSF - BMS Program
3. UCLA - MBIDP
4. University of Southern California - MCB Program

GPA: 3.51 (Major GPA 3.45) @ Northeastern University; Majoring in Bioengineering (conc. Cell and Tissue Engineering) w/ a minor in Political Science
GRE: 600V, 600Q, 6 Writing (Taking again in October as I didn't have ample time to study on my first take)

Academic Experience:
- Advanced Biomaterials for NeuroEngineering Laboratory (3 years on and off working on different projects relating to stem cell development)
- Atherosclerosis Laboratory (1 year, researching development of atherosclerosis and how ECM components are involved)

Work Experience:
- Sanofi Genzyme: Rare Disease Pharmacology (6 months doing Small Molecule Discovery, Cell Based Assay Development, in vitro Model Development)
- KSQ Therapeutics: Immuno-Oncology and Cancer Biology (12 Months - Present, Engineering Primary Immune Cells, CRISPR Screens, Cell Based Assay Development, Small Molecule Discovery)

*Ultimately my experience has mostly been in industry, where most of my LOR will be coming from. My academic experiences have varied due to business of class schedule and Northeastern's co-op program, so I've been in and out of the labs that I worked in fairly consistently and not able to be on a single project for more than a semester.