Advice for upcoming applicant for Neuroscience

Gingersnipsnap

Hi, I was wanting so see if there were any suggestions on what I could possibly do to better my application when I go to apply Fall 2019?  A little background, I applied Fall 2016 (graduated Spring 2017) to a bunch of neuroscience programs but was denied, I decided to try my hand at more research experience, retake the GRE, and retake a chem class or two (I failed mine freshman year) before I reapplied. I currently work as a full time research assistant and am in the process of gearing up to retake the GRE and sign up for classes through my jobs tuition assistance program. Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Undergrad Institution: Florida State University
Major(s): Psychology (focus in Neuroscience)
Minor(s): Biology, French
GPA in Major: 3.7- 3.8 (I think but it was never listed Possibly higher? Mostly A's only like 2 B's)
Overall GPA: 3.2 (Took a hard hit freshman year failing Chem 1 and Pre calc and struggled to build it back up the entire time)
Position in Class:  Other than the Chem 1 and Pre calc, Mostly A's with around 2-3 B's for harder classes)
Type of Student: Domestic Female

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 145
V: 155
W: 4
B: ?
*** Plan to retake ***

Research Experience: 4 years in neuroscience lab at FSU as undergraduate research assistant, 8 Months as research assistant in biology lab at Augusta University (PI ran out of funding), 2 Months(Ongoing) in cancer biology lab at Augusta University

No publications unfortunately (hopefully will have some come application time)

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Research Assistant, non academic related things such as sorority and volunteering 

Special Bonus Points: According to potential employers from applying to research positions, CV is very nicely done and impressive.

Applying to Where:
*All PhD programs*
FSU- Neuroscience

University of North Carolina - Psychology

University of Washington - Neuroscience

University of Georgia - Neuroscience

University of Texas- Neuroscience

Duke- Neuroscience

Perhaps I need to account for more safety schools this next time around with a smaller applicant pool instead of the large universities? I plan to apply to Augusta University as well as University of Georgia since I still really like their program and a PI there.

The only thing that stands out is your quantitative GRE is probably what would get your application screened out at most schools. Focus on improving that score when you retake it. There really is no such thing as a "safety school" when it comes to grad school so don't pick places that you think are mediocre simply because you think it will be easier to get in. Research experience (which you've been working on) is probably the biggest thing that will contribute to helping you get in aside from the GRE.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I agree with BeakerBreaker. The GRE is a chance to show, "Hey I do know this stuff even though my transcript says otherwise". If you have a high GRE score (especially quant) I think they are more willing to consider you as an applicant. Additionally, I think it would benefit you to address your low grades in your application. You can show you are cognizant of the problems you were facing and the solutions you employed to correct your study habits/academic performance. 

Besides your grades, I think you have good research experience! A strong LOR from your PI, a publication and/or a poster presentation would definitely boost your application.

Lastly, be sure to reach out to faculty at the universities you are interested in applying to. This can seriously benefit you when you send in your application.

Good luck in applying!