Critical Language Scholarship Summer 2019 Applicants

woshimeiguoren

I saw a Facebook post in the CLS Applicants group that was from Chinese alternates talking about their potential placement site if they are selected. Did any other alternates get any information about their potential placement site? I'm an Arabic alternate (so there are three potential countries and four potential sites) but I haven't heard anything. 

On 3/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, sab333 said:

I saw a Facebook post in the CLS Applicants group that was from Chinese alternates talking about their potential placement site if they are selected. Did any other alternates get any information about their potential placement site? I'm an Arabic alternate (so there are three potential countries and four potential sites) but I haven't heard anything. 

I haven’t heard anything about the Russian sites (asides from seeing where all four sites are on the CLS website). I think that with locations that have higher security clearances, they can’t tell alternates where they are going as an alternate might not be able to fill for those locations for whatever reason.

That’s my guess, at least.

Edited by Relly

Hello CLS applicant friends!

I’m an alternate for Persian, biting my nails over whether I’ll actually get this or not. I’ve decided that if I don’t get notified after the first round of alternate promotions, I’ll plan my summer as if I have no chance, since the probability seems much slimmer. 

So — have any of you alternates been notified yet about being bumped up to finalist? The acceptance deadline for the original finalists was March 12th, but I don’t know if they’re sending notifications out immediately or if it takes a few days. 

Good luck to everyone! 

23 hours ago, Yeki_bood said:

Hello CLS applicant friends!

I’m an alternate for Persian, biting my nails over whether I’ll actually get this or not. I’ve decided that if I don’t get notified after the first round of alternate promotions, I’ll plan my summer as if I have no chance, since the probability seems much slimmer. 

So — have any of you alternates been notified yet about being bumped up to finalist? The acceptance deadline for the original finalists was March 12th, but I don’t know if they’re sending notifications out immediately or if it takes a few days. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hey! I do think it takes a few days to send out notifications. From what I've heard, program directors send alternates notifications a few days to a week or two after the deadline, because they have to send their recommendations to be approved by 'the board' and then, assuming alternates were not sent to the State Department for clearance, alternates have to be approved by the State Department before they are notified. 

I agree though. It probably is slimmer after the first round. I've been thinking about other plans and preliminarily making plans so I'll be less disappointed (hopefully) if I'm not selected in the first round. I have, however, heard that it is pretty common for finalists to accept their award and decline it later as other awards come out in March and April. I know the Boren is mid-April & I think a lot of people apply to both CLS and Boren. So that's hopeful, I suppose!

Thank you @sab333 for the info! You kept my morale up for a bit longer and today I learned I’ve been moved up to finalist for Persian. I am beyond thrilled! For those of you still waiting, best of luck — our acceptance deadline is March 25th so I imagine more emails will start rolling out a few days after that. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Hello all,

I have been frequenting this forum for some time now. As of an hour ago, I am now a finalist for intermediate-Urdu. To all of you Alternates: don't lose hope. It can happen for you. It did for me.

Looking forward to seeing familiar faces!

• 4 weeks later...