Critical Language Scholarship Summer 2019 Applicants

woshimeiguoren

On 2/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, aspyindisguise said:

out of curiosity and anxiety for hearing the results, why do yall want to get this scholarship?

semi-finalist for intermediate Mandarin, I'll be working for the government postgrad likely doing international-related stuff for intel/defense purposes and would like to use my Mandarin in my job!

2 hours ago, nervousgal said:

Hey y'all, I'm a semifinalist for Turkish! Super anxious to hear back about results. I applied for advanced beginning Turkish because I'm really interested in studying Turkish migration policy, as well as Turkish policy towards Cyprus. Most of the country's policies are actually only in Turkish! I also applied because I'm a Fulbright ETA Semi-Finalist to Turkey and want to expand my knowledge of Turkish to facilitate a Turkish-English language book club that would have a wider variety of books to choose from. Fingers crossed that CLS provides me with an opportunity to prepare my language skills for these things. Sending good vibes to everyone on this forum!

Hey congrats about being a semi-finalist for Fulbright! I was a Fulbright ETA in Turkey a few years ago and loved it. I had plans to start an art club on campus and my students were so focused on learning English that it was not even feasible with their schedules but a book club is a wonderful idea. I ended up conducting a speaking club where we read famous novels geared to new language learners. Let me know where you are placed.

Hi everyone! I just got the email that I am an alternate for advanced Arabic. (I've been lurking here for a while and finally made an account.) Although I'm honored and of course hoping for the best, this is the second year that I have been an alternate and I am not looking forward to having my summer plans in stressful limbo for the next few weeks/months as they were last year.

Wishing the rest of you all the best as the emails start coming in!

13 minutes ago, lcollard said:

Hi, everyone! 

I’m an alternate for Intermediate Arabic. I’m trying to remind myself that making it THIS far is such a huge deal considering how many apply, but I’m still feeling bummed. At least there is still an inkling of a chance. 

I'm an alternate for Advanced Beginning Arabic. I totally feel the same way. Just upset that the waiting has to continue haha

18 minutes ago, nichinichisou said:

Also an alternate for advanced Japanese! Congrats to everyone who made it!!

^^ I am also very curious, what are the chances an alternate will make it?

Congrats on making it to alternate status! I'm hoping that you get promoted imminently!

I was an alternate for advanced Japanese in 2017 and ultimately I didn't get promoted back then :( 

Strictly speaking, I think the chances that you get promoted for advanced Japanese specifically are.. hmm.. well, slim I think. The article I posted a few weeks ago indicated that there are 26 slots total. I am not sure how many intermediate level students and advanced level students there will be, but assuming its evenly split, then there are 13 students per level. As an alternate, I learned that at least one of the people initially accepted have to decline in order for an alternate to be promoted. Finally, there's the overarching question of how many alternates CLS picks for per level. I have to imagine that they choose somewhere between three and ten alternates per level for a language like Japanese. Presuming that someone does decline the scholarship (which I was personally considering doing a month or two ago), we don't know what priority alternates get and in what sort've rank-order they'd be promoted in. I'd imagine that they'd use a randomized selection process at that point, perhaps giving a slight boost to those who haven't studied abroad before.

In any case, I'm going to hope for you to get promoted and come! Let's hope for a favorable outcome.

Edited by bbuddhab1213

23 minutes ago, bbuddhab1213 said:

Congrats on making it to alternate status! I'm hoping that you get promoted imminently!

I was an alternate for advanced Japanese in 2017 and ultimately I didn't get promoted back then :( 

Strictly speaking, I think the chances that you get promoted for advanced Japanese specifically are.. hmm.. well, slim I think. The article I posted a few weeks ago indicated that there are 26 slots total. I am not sure how many intermediate level students and advanced level students there will be, but assuming its evenly split, then there are 13 students per level. As an alternate, I learned that at least one of the people initially accepted have to decline in order for an alternate to be promoted. Finally, there's the overarching question of how many alternates CLS picks for per level. I have to imagine that they choose somewhere between three and ten alternates per level for a language like Japanese. Presuming that someone does decline the scholarship (which I was personally considering doing a month or two ago), we don't know what priority alternates get and in what sort've rank-order they'd be promoted in. I'd imagine that they'd use a randomized selection process at that point, perhaps giving a slight boost to those who haven't studied abroad before.

In any case, I'm going to hope for you to get promoted and come! Let's hope for a favorable outcome.

Thank you so much!! I'm glad you got accepted this time around!

Those odds are quite slim..... but even if a single spot opens up, there's still reason to hope! I've never studied abroad before, so hopefully that could play in my favor and give me a little boost ? 

All we can do is hope now!! Good luck to all the alternates!

Found out I am a finalist for Advanced Arabic. I hope to connect with other finalists and wish the best of luck to those still waiting to hear about their status. Everyone should be proud of going through this process regardless of the status. I applied last year and did not even make it as a semi-finalist so for those of you still waiting and those who did not make it this time around, know that if you are really committed to learning a language you will find a way to do so! 

3 hours ago, nichinichisou said:

Thank you so much!! I'm glad you got accepted this time around!

Those odds are quite slim..... but even if a single spot opens up, there's still reason to hope! I've never studied abroad before, so hopefully that could play in my favor and give me a little boost ? 

All we can do is hope now!! Good luck to all the alternates!

I'm another alternate for Japanese...The not-knowing feels pretty bad.

Congrats though bbuddhab1213 for getting finalist status. Hope there's enough space for two of us alternates...if we're lucky.

2 hours ago, myrrhman said:

I'm another alternate for Japanese...The not-knowing feels pretty bad.

Congrats though bbuddhab1213 for getting finalist status. Hope there's enough space for two of us alternates...if we're lucky.

I thought the anxiety would be over by Monday and it just continues... It's not a good feeling ?but at least we still have a chance!

Also an alternate for Advanced Japanese! Didn't get this far last year, don't really expect to get promoted to finalist, but I'm glad they thought I was almost-there :'). That's all the recognition I needed, and hopefully I'll get it when I apply next year again. I wonder if there are more alternates than finalists...