MSW vs. MFT

evasusan

I am about to start grad school (CSUN) for social work. I've been to only orientations so far but I'm really wondering if I made the wrong choice in doing an MSW rather than an MFT. My true passion is in clinical work. I'm interested in people on a one on one level and want to explore the psychology of people. and help them. That's what I'm really interested in. Although I care about social justice, it's just not what I want my focus to be on. I'm concerned that this program is going to have very little of the clinical psychology/ people stuff and be much more about agencies that can help people and connecting people/ communities with these sources of help. I am interested in doing clinical social work (therapy) or possibly forensic social work. I chose to do an MSW rather than MFT because it seems there are so many more job opportunities available with an MSW. I could be a therapist and have my own practice, but also have the option to do a bunch of other things and work other places, whereas with an MFT it seems that having your own practice is pretty much all you can do. I've also heard that if I move to another state getting the MFT license there can be a nightmare, whereas the MSW licensing isn't so specific state to state. I guess from a career standpoint it makes more sense to do the MSW, but I'm worried I'm not going to be really interested in what I'm learning and won't get to go deep into what I really care about studying. I don't want to have to just "get through" a master's program.  I want to feel excited about what I'm learning.

On a totally separate note I'm also an actress and I will be continuing to pursue acting throughout grad school. My goal after graduating is to be able to act as well as work in therapy. Should I try this program out for a little bit and then switch to an MFT program if it doesn't feel like the right fit? Or should I just try to get through the MSW degree even though it's not exactly in line with my clinical interest? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

The MSW is more versatile than MFT. If you are passionate about clinical work, you should focus on programs with strong clinical aspects. I know plenty of LCSWs who have their own private practice, and they continue their education with the breadth of post-MSW workshops and training available. It seems there are more possibilities for post-MSW clinical fellowships and internships than MFT, but I haven't looked in that direction. Either way, you can get what you're looking for. 

Try the program and switch if you aren't feeling it, but I only suggest that if you wouldn't lose out on money. 

On 8/27/2018 at 10:27 PM, evasusan said:

Thank you for responding! The MSW program I'm in has no option to have a specific focus like clinical. It's all just general. Do you think I'd do better in a different MSW program that has the option to specialize?

Yes, definitely. And, at the same time, it is a matter of your field placements and how well they prepare you for any post-MSW fellowships. If you are this unsure about the program, I would hold off for a year to apply for others.

• 1 month later...

I totally understand your dilemma too! I am a psychology student applying for MSW programs this fall. I was going in-between the MFT and MSW for the same reasons. I love psychology and want to keep learning of these psychological concepts that the MFT program offers. The MSW has some psychological classes, but the majority is about social work policy. But, my father is a LCSW and has had a lot of success and versatility in his degree, which made me lean more towards the MSW side. Plus, I care about social justice, and figured it would be good to go in the social work direction because of that. 

• 2 months later...

I am finishing up my MSW now and in the process of applying for my LMSW. I was also only interested in clinical work , really, but chose the MSW for the versatility. My program was very much community focused, but there were ample clinical electives as well as the opportunity to take elective coursework in the Counseling Psych department. You should see if these opportunities are available in your program of choice. I was somewhat bored doing community work in my program, but I feel like it is worth it in the end for the doors that the MSW opens. As you stated, MFT is not recognized in every state and licensure may not transfer as easily. I have also noticed instances where an MSW can apply to an MFT position but not vice versa ( like in a hospital setting) . 

MSW is job ready without a license and would remain that way, so even if you somehow lost your license, you would still have your MSW and you could still work, not so with an MFT, the MFT degree is worthless in all reality without licensure. With a license, MSW (LCSW) can do anything an LMFT can do, and much more because the scope of practice is much larger. Just cause one CAN do anything doesn't mean they SHOULD though, and everyone should operate within their scope of competence.

Most people say that whether you were LMFT LCSW LPCC you will all be about the same by 5 years post licensure in terms of capability and competence, you could spend the rest of your career studying and earning marriage and family therapy CEUs or training or psychodynamic or whatever, you can even have an LMFT supervisor for a lot of your clinical hours, so you can become the kind of therapist you want to be no matter your degree. MSW is good anywhere in the US. If you get burned out on therapy, as an MSW you can do many other jobs, anything an MFT can do and more. I also hear MFTs really struggling with finding supervision post grad, and having to pay a lot for it, and this isn't something I hear about with MSWs very often. Many jobs you would get post degree would include supervision and honestly none of us should take a job that doesn't if you want a license.

Now, the catch is, you have to be smart about where you get your MSW make sure it has faculty and a concentration that suits your interests, and you have to be smart about where you do your 2nd year practicum and where you work post grad, and that includes where in the country you work. You are going to make just as much as any other therapist in your area once licensed, it's usually around $125-200 per session. The coastal states pay the most in terms of agency jobs. Lastly, the MFTs I worked with, prior to settling on the MSW, all said to get the MSW over the MFT. Now that's of course not what everyone will say but that's what I've heard.

The only thing is, yes it's not as psychologyish as your undergrad. I was a psych undergrad too, but it's still a part of direct practice social work. It's person IN environment, with social work, and clinical social work is really focused on person and family or group. You will still be using psychology stuff, but you will gain in a greater understanding of culture, how people's social identities impact their lives, and will also end up being strong in your ability to connect clients to resources and case management light if need be. In the end, if you ask me, a well experienced LCSW is probably most capable.

As for GPA it depends on the school, but generally speaking if you have around a 3.0 or greater GPA and about a years worth of social workish field experience you will get into some MSW school in your region, so long as you can write a good SOP and show you are ready. For more competitive schools it's probably closer to 3.5GPA and 1-2 years experience. Still though, they really aren't like clinical psych programs where GPA and your involvement in Psi Chi is important, and honestly research experience isn't as important either. Now that said some schools get a ton of applicants and the competition can be even higher. Like where I live in Los Angeles, it's CSU Long Beach, UCLA, and USC that have the most applied to programs. USC has a massive program, hundreds of students so they have plenty of room if you got the $$$ and good grades. CSULB gets thousands of applicants for a small 300 cohort group of students between their part time and FT program. UCLA I don't know how many applicants but probably close to CSULB, and it's an 80 person cohort, so the competition is intense. If you lived out here though, I could tell you 6 other MSW programs in the LA area you could probably get into if you did your part as an applicent and had a GPA around a 3.0-3.5 and a bit of field experience 1 year ish and could write up a good SOP, resume, and good letters of rec.

Edited by BackNSchool83

• 4 months later...

Thanks, all! I'm still in the early stages of my B.Psych.Sc. but thinking about plans for my future career and study prospects is the perfect way to procrastinate instead of writing this paper ? Truly, though, I appreciate the insight and advice!

• 6 months later...