Lab Rotation Expectations

Hey everyone,

I'm about to start lab rotations and feel quite nervous. I know that expectations relies heavily on each PI, but can anyone speak to their personal experiences in lab rotations? Most of my anxiousness stems from rotating in a lab that is using techniques I have never done before. Are you expected to hit the ground running? 

Thank you for any input!

Put time into what you're doing. It's not like you're expected to get a ton done, but the more you get done the more impressed they'll be. But it's not just get it done, get it done well. Quality over quantity. You probably also have to balance your classes, so function with that limitation in mind.

Generally the PI is evaluating your motivation above all else, as well as your fit in the lab (socially, as well as with your interests). Grad students function fairly independently. A PI wants to know that he/she has students who are self motivated who he doesn't have to push to come to lab to finish that next experiment.

I suggest expressing excitement about getting results. If you have the option to analyze the data tonight or tomorrow, doing it tonight because you just can't wait to see the results will look a lot better than waiting. Also expressing excitement about the research in general (duh).

Also remember that PIs largely function as mentors. You can have a discussion about your interests and what you love about research in general. You should also be evaluating them and if you want them to be your mentor for half a decade. 

I'm in a neuroscience program so my advice is probably most applicable to those in the life sciences:

In general, no, you should not be expected to hit the ground running. It's pretty hard to just teach yourself new techniques and typically the lab may assign a post-doc or graduate student to be your point person. If not, I might recommend asking your PI who in the lab would be good to go to with questions about the particular techniques you'll work on in your rotation project. Typically the rotation project is something you A) might choose from a list of options your PI presents or B) you may work with someone else on their project or C) work with the PI to come up with something entirely new. 

In my program, we rotate as we do classes, so we typically spend about half the day in lab and half on classes. I knew I felt pressure (self-induced) to always be working and hanging around in lab like I saw some grad students/post-docs doing. I have to say that I would strongly disagree today. Yes, you should definitely spend a good amount of time (in my program at least 4 weeks) before moving on to another lab rotation. I would say at least 6-8 weeks if you enjoy the lab and are considering it as a place to do your dissertation research. But don't overcommit yourself. Remember that you have homework and they don't! Also, if everyone is at lab all the time, consider whether this is sustainable for you long-term. Graduate studies are a marathon, not a sprint.

On 8/28/2018 at 10:20 PM, BabyScientist said:

If you have the option to analyze the data tonight or tomorrow, doing it tonight because you just can't wait to see the results will look a lot better than waiting. 

I slightly disagree with this sentiment. Yes, one of the best things you can do as a rotation student is to show enthusiasm, but if 'doing it tonight' means overextending yourself, it's not worth it. Always remember that as important as it is to make a good impression and show enthusiasm about the lab, it's even more important for you to assess the lab on it's fit with you and your interests. You're not expected to get data or results (if you do, great!) and if a PI does expect that, I would strongly encourage you to avoid picking that lab. Unrealistic expectations during the rotation will not let up once you've joined. Get a feel for the lab culture. Are people friendly and helpful? Do they do interesting research? How do you interact with the PI? Could you see yourself here for 4-6 years? It's a long commitment and not one to be taken lightly. 

I would also recommend when setting up rotations to talk not only to PIs and people currently in the lab, but also reach out to people that rotated but DIDN'T join. In my program, our admin keeps a record of this so it's easy to find these students and ask them about their experiences. In most cases, no labs are purely good or bad and it's more about the fit of your personality with the lab. Talking to someone who didn't join is great because they can and will be more candid about their experience and may provide useful information about potential downsides of the lab that you can then think about an evaluate. For example, if someone didn't join because the lab didn't feel close-knit enough, you can think about whether that matters to you or whether you'd actually prefer to think of your labmates more like work colleagues. 

Bottom line: Enjoy yourself, do fun science, and think of rotations almost like dating before marriage. Try a few options out before you settle down and remember that rotations are a two-way street.