Do new professors get relo budgets?

E-P

In my previous life, if a company hired a new employee from another part of the country, they would pay relocation costs (typically negotiated based on how valuable the employee was).  Is this a Thing in academia?  It's a few years away, of course, but should I start saving NOW for what could be a cross-country move, or is it reasonable to expect that a tenure-track assistant professor job would come with a relocation budget?

16 hours ago, E-P said:

In my previous life, if a company hired a new employee from another part of the country, they would pay relocation costs (typically negotiated based on how valuable the employee was).  Is this a Thing in academia?  It's a few years away, of course, but should I start saving NOW for what could be a cross-country move, or is it reasonable to expect that a tenure-track assistant professor job would come with a relocation budget?

In my experience - tenure track faculty get relocation budgets (and usually start up funding).  The relocation budget can be a flat fee or some percentage of your salary.  If you end up with a non-tenure track faculty position - I think whether you get a relocation budget varies widely. 

If your monthly budget can afford it - I would put away some money into savings.  It is also expensive to be on the job market because typically you'll need at least a new interview suit and may need to pay for a portion of your travel to interviews (or at least front the costs until you get reimbursed.)