Transfer credits

NYCStudent

Hi everyone,

I'm curious if anyone around here was successfully able to transfer graduate credits towards a PhD degree in a different subject. I'm in the process of applying for both History and Sociology PhD programs for Fall 2019, and I'd like to focus on U.S. education policy - particularly higher education - and its role in shaping the political/economic/social landscape in post WWII America.

My BA is in History, and I have my Master's degree in Higher Education Administration. My graduate work was a combination of MPA work and sociology/theory, so I have a background in both quant/qualitative research.

Anyone have a similar background of previous graduate work more in the social sciences that was able to count towards a Sociology PhD? 

Thanks!

It really varies from university to university. Of course, coursework is a very small part of what a PhD requires. If you can show that the courses you took before are really similar to what you'd be required to take, they might allow you to be exempted. For statistics courses, they might require that you pass some type of test to prove that you already have the knowledge.