2019 Statistics PhD Profile (Current Master's student reapplying to PhD programs)

lazo

I've been following this forum for a quite a while now, since I was applying for stat/biostat programs two cycles ago. Back then, I was accepted to a few PhD programs, but for various reasons, I decided to do a funded Master's program in biostatistics. Thus, this year I will be reapplying to PhD programs as a current Master's student, which will hopefully improve my outcomes compared to two years ago. I wanted to ask you all for your opinions on how competitive I'd be this cycle.

Type of Student: DWM

Undergrad School: Duke University (US News top 10)

Undergrad Major: Statistical Science

Undergrad GPA: Around 3.65, cumulative and major GPA are basically the same (I know I messed up as an undergrad... I have no excuses other than I should have worked harder)

Grad Program: Top 5 biostat program according to US News

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: Quant 169, Verbal 169, Writing 5.0

Relevant Undergrad Courses & Grades: Calc II (A), Multivariate Calc (B+), Linear Algebra (A-), Advanced Calc i.e. Intro to Analysis (B+), Regression Analysis (A), Probability (A-),  Stat Inference (B+), Bayesian Stat (A-), Machine Learning (A-), Survey Analysis (B), Spatial and Time Series (B), High Dim Data (A-), and quite a few comp sci courses (which I mostly got As in)

Grad Courses: (I got an A in basically every class) Stat Inference, Applied Biostat, Computational Stat, Longitudinal Data, Missing Data, Adv Probability, etc.

Research Experience: I worked as a research assistant for an econ professor in undergrad (one publication) and worked as a research assistant during my first year of grad school (one publication in the works), although I am not first author for either paper. I am currently working with a biostat professor on my Master's thesis.

Recommendation Letters: One from econ professor who I published with (they also wrote a letter for my applications two years ago), one from thesis adviser, and one from biostat professor that taught two of my classes. 

Applying to: Statistics PhD programs. I've discovered that the research focuses of biostat departments are a bit disjoint from my interests, so I'm hoping to go back to a stat department. I haven't made a definitive list yet, but I'm currently looking at top 10 stat programs in US News. I'm unsure how competitive I'll be compared to the other applicants though. 

My current interests are Bayesian computation and other computational methods for ML/high dim data. My main question is: Do you guys think that I''ll be competitive for the top statistics programs (like Berkeley, Harvard, CMU, etc)? I also plan to apply to Duke, where I did my undergrad, and I think it might be my top choice at the moment given how closely the department aligns with my interests. I know that my low undergrad grades are a cause for concern for most admissions committees, but I hope that my grades in my grad program will help relieve some of their concerns.

I know I'm aiming really high, but I'm hoping that I will be a much more competitive applicant than I was two years ago. Are there other programs I should consider that might be more realistic? In addition, I will be reapplying to a lot of programs I applied to two years ago that rejected/waitlisted me. Will applying again put me at a disadvantage, and do programs consider reapplicants in a different manner than first-time applicants? Finally, I know there's a lot of discussion on this forum about the Math GRE subject test. I know that Stanford is the only program that requires it, but there are a few top programs that strongly encourage it. At the moment I'm not planning on taking it (and thus not applying to Stanford), but I have also considered studying now and taking the test in October. Do you guys think that I would be one of those people that might benefit from taking the subject test?

I really appreciate all of your help!

Edited by lazo

I think your qualifications are good enough to get into the top 10.  I would not take the GRE subject test.  I also think your GPA is fine.

My only comment is I wouldnt make my statement of interest too narrow.  That could be a red flag to some schools. If you feel comfortable to answer  what is your masters school?

I think as it stands, you can probably get admitted to a school at the level of Iowa State or Texas A&M -- possibly higher, given your pedigree and your strong performance in your Masters program. I don't think you would be at a disadvantage for a program because you had applied to it and gotten rejected previously (if anything, the adcom would take into consideration your most recent academic performance this time around, and your performance in your Masters program is very good). As others have mentioned, however, Duke, CMU, Harvard, Berkeley, etc. are just very difficult to get into to begin with (even a lot of applicants with 3.8+ GPA's get rejected from those schools too...), so there's no guarantee you can be admitted to one of those programs. 

It would be a good idea to apply to a wider range of schools, including schools like FSU, UT-Austin, and OSU. 

@Gauss2017 The program I'm currently in is one of the biostat programs currently tied for third place in the US News stat rankings. If it matters, the program I'm currently in is ranked higher than basically all the stat programs I'm applying to (in the combined ranking), except Berkeley and maybe Stanford if I end up taking the subject test.

Duke is definitely my dream school though, and I would really like to return to Durham. I happen to know who the head of graduate admissions for the stat department is, and I actually took a class they taught when I was an undergrad. Would it be helpful for me to write them a quick email to indicate my interest in returning to the stat department there for my PhD after finishing my Master's, or would this be inappropriate? What should I include in the email (Current program and GPA? Research interests? Publications?) if I do end up writing one? 

I know my undergrad transcript is already set in stone, so I can't change that, and I feel like I've done all I can to succeed in my Master's program already. Other than making sure my recommendation letters are as good as they can be, is there anything else I can do to increase my chances of being accepted?

I personally dont think there is any harm in contacting the head of graduate admissions at Duke.  Grad school is about fit and they are looking for students who will be a good fit for their program and who are enthusiastic about going there.

Some schools dont like to accept undergrad alumni into their grad program. Duke does take some students who went there as an undergrad. Having a masters at another school is a definitive plus.

I think your undergrad GPA is fine.  Admissions is holistic.  They are looking at the whole picture not one small piece.  I agree with applied math that a lot of people with 3.8 plus get rejected from top programs but it is because it is only part of the whole package.   Lots of people with less than 3.8 also get accepted at top programs

I know this doesn't answer your question (I'm still an undergrad so I don't think I have enough insight on your application--although it looks good to me), but I was wondering if you had any advice for getting into one of the 3 Biostats Masters programs with funding? I'm applying to those this cycle and would definitely appreciate any advice you have on that (both with getting accepted and finding funding)

21 hours ago, Goodwillhunting2 said:

I know this doesn't answer your question (I'm still an undergrad so I don't think I have enough insight on your application--although it looks good to me), but I was wondering if you had any advice for getting into one of the 3 Biostats Masters programs with funding? I'm applying to those this cycle and would definitely appreciate any advice you have on that (both with getting accepted and finding funding)

I simply applied for the PhD program and when I got my decision, they said that while they could not offer me admission into the PhD program, they could accept me into the Master's program and work with me to find funding (This was in spite of the fact that the funding page on the program website stated that Master's students usually did not receive funding and should be expected to cover all expenses themselves). Also, they told me that if I did well enough in the program, I could apply to the PhD program. This program was the highest ranked by far that I was accepted to, so I decided to take their offer over other PhD offers I had. I found a professor to work for over the summer and it was a relatively painless process. However, I think the vast majority of Master's students in my department are unfunded, so I definitely don't think this route is typical in my program. I definitely lucked out in regards to this.  

Edited by lazo

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 11:19 PM, Goodwillhunting2 said:

I know this doesn't answer your question (I'm still an undergrad so I don't think I have enough insight on your application--although it looks good to me), but I was wondering if you had any advice for getting into one of the 3 Biostats Masters programs with funding?

@Goodwillhunting2 What are the 3 biostatistics programs with funding? I feel like I've seen more than three masters programs with funding as I've gone through the various websites.

@dogbite1337 Ah, my apologizes, I am just realizing how ambiguous my previous post was. I meant one of the 3 top Biostats programs (which is usually ranked at U Washington, Harvard, and Johns Hopkins). I was asking for advice on how to be accepted into one of those programs and have them offer you a scholarship.

But I'm surprised you have seen many masters programs with funding? Most of the ones I've looked at seem like they offer very little funding to masters students. What schools have you seen that offer funding? 

@Goodwillhunting2 Ahh that makes sense. I feel like some of the websites I've seen mention that qualified masters students often get assistantships. This is by no means a guarantee, but it implies that it's not extremely rare. I believe most of the schools I saw were outside of the top 10, though, and didn't jot any down at the time. Although Iowa and Vanderbilt come to mind.

• 1 month later...

Well, I ended up deciding to take the Math Subject test, and I just got my scores... I got a score in the low-60th percentile, so I guess that takes me out of the running for Stanford. Is this a score that I should send to programs that strongly recommend applicants to take the GRE Subject test? Definitely should have reviewed Calculus concepts more...