Can I get in with these stats?

NYorker

I have read so many posts about people trying to get into speech pathology grad schools or not getting in at all, that I looked for programs abroad as an alternative.

Many months later, after preparation I ended up with the following stats:

Verbal - 156       Quantitative - 148       AWA  4

I also have a 3.4 GPA from a previous Masters degree in another field. My undergrad GPA was a 2.7. However, this was from a long time ago - in the 1990's

At this point in time, I have an opportunity abroad but am thinking of rejecting it and just applying to American universities instead since I live here and it would be difficult to uproot and relocate. Another part of me tells me to accept this opportunity abroad as something else may not come along here in USA or if it does, it may take a long time.

What do you think? Do I stand a shot at getting into an American university with my stats-? If so, I would prefer to decline the opportunity abroad. Thanks.

Edited by Optimistic000

I think you certainly have a shot at an American university. Your GRE scores look good, and while your GPAs may look like they're on the "lower" end, I wonder if having a previous Masters in another field can help you stand out from other applicants! If you haven't already, you should consider applying to programs in more rural areas in America. It will still be relocating, but at least it's still in the country. Schools that are in more rural areas tend to get less applicants, and they generally look at the applicant more holistically so it may be easier to get accepted. Best of luck!

Thank you so much for these helpful responses. I do not have an undergraduate degree in Speech Pathology so I am limited in the number of universities I can apply to but it's good to know that I stand a chance. There are certainly ways I can improve my application like raising my GRE score.