Major: Mathematics
GPA: 3.60/4.00

GRE General Test:
Q:
V: 165
W: 4

Programs Applying: Biostatistics Masters
Research Experience: None
Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked in a technical position at a healthcare software company for 2 years. I have a few actuarial exams under my belt.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 good, not great

Math/Statistics Grades:  Calc 1: A, Calc 2: B, Calc 3: B, Differential Equations: A, Discrete Math: B,  Linear Algebra: B, Probability/Statistics: B, Regression: A, Real Analysis: C, College Geometry: C, Abstract Algebra: A, Programming 1: A, Programming 2: A, Programming 3: A

Biostatistics Masters Programs Applying to:
Harvard, University of Washington, Berkeley, UNC, University of Michigan, UMN, UW-Madison, UCLA, University of Iowa, Vanderbilt, University of Colorado - Denver

Hey all, looking for any thoughts/suggestions on my masters application credentials. I had a couple questions specifically too.

1) Is it realistic to get into a top program? I'm looking at going for a phd eventually, but looking at doing really well in a masters first to boost my application.

2) Is it common for first year masters students to get an assistantship or significant funding? Funding is a concern of mine. Are there any universities where masters funding is common? I would be open to normal stats programs as well. Any suggestions on ways to fund your masters besides loans and assistantships?

Your GRE quant score is great, but your math grades are underwhelming to say the least. With those grades it is unlikely you will get into a top school as they are all highly competetive.

I think you'll probably get into at least one school on your list (probably UC Denver), but it is my understanding that the posters on here are kind of understating the competetiveness of Master's apps. People are applying to Statistics Master's programs en masse nowadays while university resources have not similarly increased, and the only downward pressure on that trend is the strong job market (which in a way might be exacerbating that trend, since the strong job market has accelerated the posting of data scientist jobs that require a professional degree). Case in point: I literally just got back from an email thread where the Purdue office said their Master's acceptance rate hovers around 15-20% (Purdue for crying out loud!)

In light of all this I strongly recommend you diversify your applications and add more mid-tier schools (possibly substituted in for some of the top schools where you stand little chance).

Your best bet overall to maximize acceptances? Apply to programs that specifically encourage applicants from industry. You can highlight your actuarial exams and work experience to great effect there.

Edited by theduckster