PhD in Stats/Actuarial/Machine Learning

Ro2292

I hold an international bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science and I want to apply to PhDs in Stats in the US. I work in the industry and nowadays there is a big movement to combine machine learning to traditional actuarial/statistical techniques (which is quite interesting) and I intend to tailor my research in this direction. Probably analyzing health insurance data to calculate premiums in more individualized way (or something similar).

I'm looking to universities in the US that have a more applied stats department where I can apply for my PhD e develop such kind of research.

Also, I don't know if I have good grades for that. I receive my bachelor degree from the best university in Latin America and best in my country. There, grades vary from 0 to 10, being 5 the passing grade. I scored, overall, 7.1. It's is considered to be top 100 universities in the world in Stats/Math subjects, according to these universities rankings.

University of Iowa's Statistics PhD program has a concentration in actuarial science/financial mathematics. UCSB and Rice University also have PhD programs in Statistics with a financial math concentration. These are good programs to consider. Additionally, you can also do an Actuarial Science concentration in a few Mathematics departments, e.g. at UIUC and UConn:

https://math.illinois.edu/academics/actuarial-science/graduate-degrees/phd-mathematics-concentration-actuarial-science-and

https://www.math.uconn.edu/degree-programs/graduate/ph-d-in-actuarial-science/

• 2 years later...
On 9/29/2018 at 5:00 PM, Ro2292 said:

I hold an international bachelor's degree in Actuarial Science and I want to apply to PhDs in Stats in the US. I work in the industry and nowadays there is a big movement to combine machine learning to traditional actuarial/statistical techniques (which is quite interesting) and I intend to tailor my research in this direction. Probably analyzing health insurance data to calculate premiums in more individualized way (or something similar).

I'm looking to universities in the US that have a more applied stats department where I can apply for my PhD e develop such kind of research.

Also, I don't know if I have good grades for that. At university, I had difficulty with some subjects, so I used https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/transcendentalism/ to write essays and other assignments, as these subjects were of little interest to me but affected my grade point average. I receive my bachelor degree from the best university in Latin America and best in my country. There, grades vary from 0 to 10, being 5 the passing grade. I scored, overall, 7.1. It's is considered to be top 100 universities in the world in Stats/Math subjects, according to these universities rankings.

I am very interested in which university you have chosen and what are you doing now? Do you already have any scientific achievements? I will be very grateful if you share the information with us.

Edited by ykolp