Informal Interview with POI?

artemisia

Hi all,
I emailed all of my POIs (for PhD programs) in September and one of them set up a phone call with me. They have not received any of my application materials (obviously) so I am not sure how to approach the interview. Any recommendations/advice? 

I have had similar conversations before. They are a great opportunity and nothing to worry about. My recommendation is to make sure you know your research interests fairly well and know the work of some of the program's faculty, particularly those you are interested in working with. In my experience, the conversation might cover your general interest in the field, your background, what appeals to you about that particular school/program, and specifics about the program (from the POI). I was given a lot of great info about life as a student, career outcomes, and application tips. You should try to think ahead about questions regarding the program so you can make the most of your conversation and come across as educated about the program you're applying to.