msw rural concentration. Will it be a problem?

bethyann1418

I am currently looking to apply to grad school. The only grad school I can seem to go to due to living in the middle of nowhere is an online program. It is accredited by the NASW and a very good school over all. The only problem is they have a focus on rural social work. All the classes, even the electives are rural based. My only issue is that I want to work in an urban setting as a therapist. and not knowing any other social workers I don't know what to do.

1) will going through this program ruin my chances of ever being able to move somewhere that isn't rural?

2) will I only be able to do rural social work?

3)How much weight does a concentration have on the jobs someone can get after they receive their degree?

I would appreciate any and all answers I can get. Thank you!

I posted this originally in the wrong forum topic because I was so anxious about it but here it is:

I am currently looking to apply to grad school. The only grad school I can seem to go to due to living in the middle of nowhere is an online program. It is accredited by the NASW and a very good school over all. The only problem is they have a focus on rural social work. All the classes, even the electives are rural based. My only issue is that I want to work in an urban setting as a therapist. and not knowing any other social workers I don't know what to do.

1) will going through this program ruin my chances of ever being able to move somewhere that isn't rural?

2) will I only be able to do rural social work?

3)How much weight does a concentration have on the jobs someone can get after they receive their degree?

I would appreciate any and all answers I can get. Thank you

Hi! 

i'm in my second year of my msw degree. i live in a rural area but was lucky enough to live an hour away from my school. i do think that there are a lot of differences between urban vs rural policywise, but there are a lot of transferrable skills that you will learn in any social work setting. 

i'd suggest looking at my program: smith college school for social work as you complete field placements during the year throughout the U.S. (or where you live, as in my case) and you live on campus for 10 weeks in the summer. 

Or you could try other MSW online programs such as Simmons College (Boston). 

Hope I helped, and best of luck!