U Michigan -Ann Arbor

NeuroNerd86

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've been looking for roommates all day.....posted a profile on Uroomsurf only to realize that there were no grad students there!

So anyone who is going to UMich this Fall and is interested in sharing an apartment on or off campus, get in touch...

And if you're not a girl or not interesting in rooming you can still post! Would be nice to get to know some people who are going to UMich as well...

Well, I've been looking for roommates all day.....posted a profile on Uroomsurf only to realize that there were no grad students there!

So anyone who is going to UMich this Fall and is interested in sharing an apartment on or off campus, get in touch...

And if you're not a girl or not interesting in rooming you can still post! Would be nice to get to know some people who are going to UMich as well...

I will be going to UMich also, but I already have my housing situation figured out so I can't really help you in that regard...

If you don't mind me asking, what will you be studying? I will be attending the PIBS (Program in Biomedical Science) Program in the biochemistry track.

Are you used to Michigan-like weather?

I'll be attending the Master's program in Electrical Engineering.

I'm not used to Michigan-like weather at all....in fact I've never even lived in a place that is even half as cold as there! How about you?

Nice to hear that you have your housing situation figured out....could you tell me if you've gone for on or off campus housing and how you found roommates if you have any?

I'll be attending the Master's program in Electrical Engineering.

I'm not used to Michigan-like weather at all....in fact I've never even lived in a place that is even half as cold as there! How about you?

Nice to hear that you have your housing situation figured out....could you tell me if you've gone for on or off campus housing and how you found roommates if you have any?

I am originally from Ohio and have been completing my undergrad in Michigan, so I am used to this weather.

My undergrad is EMU, which is located in Ypsilanti, literally 7 miles outside of Ann Arbor so I plan to stay in Ypsi and commute by bus to Ann Arbor. The reason that I am staying Ypsi is that it is cheaper than the housing in Ann Arbor, if that does not go well I can always move into Ann Arbor the next year. Since I have already been in the area I have found my roommates pretty easily by finding friends that live in the area. Unfortunately I do not have any advice on how to find roommates.

Engineering should be on North Campus, which is where I have heard the cheapest off campus apartments are.

heyz hii guys!!!

i m an international coming to UMich for a PhD in Physics(expt)..my undergrads was in electronics n comm engineering...will work on applications of electronics in cosmology...it will be good to know others heading there...

n yaa.. me too looking for roommates...nybody interested ...do lemme know

it wud be a gr8 help if u cud lemme know how to search for apartments??i mean some links to websites would be helpful

Howdy, Michigan people coming over the summer! I'm an Ann Arbor townie who will be starting a PhD in the history department at UM this fall, but I'll be away this summer, starting in June. If anyone is interested in subletting my one-bedroom apartment for the summer while looking for a lease that starts in September, please email me directly at jmoevans at gmail dot com. You can look at my craigslist post for more details. Be in touch!

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/sub/1692412033.html

I'll be starting my Ph.D. in the English department of UM this fall! I'm really very excited. I'm always curious about how different people in different fields make their decisions, and I'm especially interested when those people ended up deciding on the same place I did! So, then - why UM? Why did you ultimately choose Michigan?

I'll start: It's a highly-regarded program with great placement ("great" of course relative to the humanities job market), it's known for its collegial atmosphere among students and between faculty and students, it's strong in my subfield and there are quite a few people working on the specific things I'm interested in within that subfield, it's got great financial structure, including two fellowship years out of six guaranteed years of support, and everyone I've met associated with the department has been lovely.

Ann Arbor itself was both a plus and a question mark. I like that it's supposed to be a fun town and a good place to be in your 20's, liberal without being too hippie, foodie-oriented. It seems very grad-student friendly, as the graduate population is so large. But I'm a little worried that it's sort of an island. I'm no big city person at all, so I should be okay, but it's something I think about. I'm actually not worried about the weather - I went to school in Vermont, and now living in the South I really miss the change of seasons. But I've also gotten used to being surrounded by a lot of natural beauty, and am worried I might feel a deficit of that in Ann Arbor.

I'd love to hear anyone else's thought process that led them to Michigan, or thoughts in general about the school/place!

Edited by intextrovert

I'll be starting my Ph.D. in the English department of UM this fall! I'm really very excited. I'm always curious about how different people in different fields make their decisions, and I'm especially interested when those people ended up deciding on the same place I did! So, then - why UM? Why did you ultimately choose Michigan?

I'll start: It's a highly-regarded program with great placement ("great" of course relative to the humanities job market), it's known for its collegial atmosphere among students and between faculty and students, it's strong in my subfield and there are quite a few people working on the specific things I'm interested in within that subfield, it's got great financial structure, including two fellowship years out of six guaranteed years of support, and everyone I've met associated with the department has been lovely.

Ann Arbor itself was both a plus and a question mark. I like that it's supposed to be a fun town and a good place to be in your 20's, liberal without being too hippie, foodie-oriented. It seems very grad-student friendly, as the graduate population is so large. But I'm a little worried that it's sort of an island. I'm no big city person at all, so I should be okay, but it's something I think about. I'm actually not worried about the weather - I went to school in Vermont, and now living in the South I really miss the change of seasons. But I've also gotten used to being surrounded by a lot of natural beauty, and am worried I might feel a deficit of that in Ann Arbor.

I'd love to hear anyone else's thought process that led them to Michigan, or thoughts in general about the school/place!

Ann Arbor isn't that much of an island, especially if you have a car. Most people don't even take advantage of everything there is in Ann Arbor, let alone venturing over to Ypsi (personally guilty of that...), let alone exploring Detroit/metro Detroit.

Deficit of natural beauty? Compared to what, exactly?

Ann Arbor isn't that much of an island, especially if you have a car. Most people don't even take advantage of everything there is in Ann Arbor, let alone venturing over to Ypsi (personally guilty of that...), let alone exploring Detroit/metro Detroit.

Deficit of natural beauty? Compared to what, exactly?

Vermont. So not a very fair comparison. :) I also just declined Wisconsin, and thought Madison was a really, really beautiful city. So maybe also compared to that. Michigan is a better choice, but I was sad to let Madison go. One of my major research interests is place/geography/space/environment in literature, so I'm especially attuned to that.

But this is exactly what I want to hear! I got only a very limited view of Ann Arbor during a very rushed December visit. I'm thinking I'll love it once I'm there.

Edited by intextrovert

Vermont. So not a very fair comparison. :) I also just declined Wisconsin, and thought Madison was a really, really beautiful city. So maybe also compared to that. Michigan is a better choice, but I was sad to let Madison go. One of my major research interests is place/geography/space/environment in literature, so I'm especially attuned to that.

But this is exactly what I want to hear! I got only a very limited view of Ann Arbor during a very rushed December visit. I'm thinking I'll love it once I'm there.

Ann Arbor itself does not have the landscape of Burlington, but the fall season is still gorgeous! And you have the Arb for getting out into nature. If you have a car (although I don't think you need one), you can go Up North to enjoy some spectacular scenery and Lake Michigan. I'll be there myself in a month :)

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use