Foreign student - Is my profile a good fit for an American uni?

claracg

Hello peeps :)

I am currently applying to several postgraduate programs in Sociology, but my 'profile' is a bit peculiar and I am worried my application might be doomed from the start lol

I hold a Masters Degree in Media Studies from La Sorbonne University (France), which I obtained with excellent grades. Even though my degree is not specialized in Sociology per say, I wrote my master's thesis on gender studies and political science related themes. I am not sure how it works in the US, but in France your master's thesis is a substantial piece of writing (100+ pages) and a 1 year full time project. Question 1) Is such a thesis a good 'bridge' between my previous university background and my current aspirations?

2) My CV is eclectic. I spent a good 5 years working and living abroad, first as a teacher, then in a cryptocurrency related field in Singapore (I finished my MA in between, about 2 years ago). Is this considered a strength, or a weak point? I see a lot of tips on how to ' create your unique story ' and show how you stand out', but I am not sure if this makes me stand out in a good or in a bad way. France and the US have completely different perspectives on this Phd thing, I am doing my best to put together a compelling application, but sometimes I am afraid it's all for nothing... Opinions and advice are very much welcome :)

Edited by claracg
typo

There are definitely people who have eclectic backgrounds who succeed in sociology. What did you study before your MA? Are you able to refer to some sociological theories or methods in your personal statement, and does your background inform in some what what you want to study? If it does, then I wouldn't worry at all. If they don't fit together, then don't worry too much about the background and just focus on your application. Hopefully the professors writing your reference letters will be able to tie things together for you and explain why sociology is a good fit for your plans. I think for international students in particular your GRE results can also play a role in whether your application stands out or not. 

Hello and thanks for your reply :)

I studied Literature first. After my BA, I initially joined a Masters program in Sociology, but I had to cut it short due to a serious illness at the time. I didn't get to sit the exams, but during the first semester we received fairly comprehensive training (we did a lot of field research, along with courses covering theory and research methods). This experience impacted me a lot in terms of my academical interests and also my approach to research in general. I started diving into gender studies at the time, and got involved with several on-campus related events.

Since I didn't get to sit the exams and this experience quickly aborted, not sure I can quote that in my letter.

Years later, I returned to the Sorbonne. Being a bit lost at the time I picked into this media studies related major, but upon writing my thesis I realized what I was passionate about was social sciences and gender studies in particular. My topic explored female leadership in far right political movements.

So yes, I am able to refer sociological theories and methods. One thing I really like about a lot of Sociology Programs for the US is the emphasis on quantitative research, for example. Sociology programs in France are seriously lacking when it comes to stats :(