Art and Museum Studies-- Anyone??

ohwowitsfiliz

Me!! Thought I was alone out here. I'm applying for Curatorial Studies - except at Art Institute of Chicago, where I've applied for a dual MA in Art History and Arts Administration. Royal College of Art's website says they're emailing students they want to invite for an interview today, but my inbox has been frustratingly quiet. Also applied to Columbia and Bard, Bard being first choice.

Anyone hear anything from Royal College of Art yet?

Finally, a little news...

Royal College of Art's results are delayed until Fri the 29th (leap year day!). Then they will be notifying everyone by post and email. Fingers crossed!

And I just got invited to do a phone interview with the Arts Admin dept at the Art Institute of Chicago. Anyone know if this is standard practice? Not sure how to read this, as I didn't know interviews were an option...

Good luck to everyone in a similar boat too!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have applied to the following programs:

The University of the Arts-Museum Communication (accepted)

Tufts University-Art History with Museum Studies certificate (rejected)

New York University-Museum Studies (accepted)

The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee-Art History with Museum Studies certificate (accepted)

Georgetown University-Museum Studies (awaiting reply)

Johns Hopkins University-Museum Studies (awaiting reply)

American University-Art History with a Concentration in Museum Studies (awaiting reply)

Stacgrad, Did you apply for the master's in art history and museum studies at Tufts? Or just the certificate program? I'm trying to gauge my chances of getting in. Are you appyling directly out of undergrad? or have you been working?

Congrats on your acceptances! I've heard GW and NYU are great choices.

Thanks!

kg1014,

I applied to the Art History and Museum Studies graduate program (not the certificate program). I'm not sure what the credentials were for getting in...I didn't do great on the GRE's, but I'm graduating with a dual degree in Art History and Marketing Management, with a 3.8 overall and a 3.95 art history GPA. Also, I had an internship with the Milwaukee Art Museum during one summer and I studied abroad in Switzerland for one semester. The only thing I can think is that I am not "reading fluent" in any language, and maybe they knew that I was more interested in Museum Studies than Art History.

Who knows...good luck with your decision!

Johns Hopkins University-Museum Studies Program (accepted)

I'm excited about the idea of JHU. The online format, while it is interesting, provides for more flexibility with internships and living situations.

I've emailed Georgetown and this is their response:

The Art and Museum Studies department is still in the process of making admissions decisions. After they complete this process, they will recommend a decision to us at the Graduate School and then we will re-review your application and send the official letter. Hopefully, they will get these decisions to us in the next week or two so we can mail the decision letters as soon as possible.

So, pretty much I'm not sure what to make of it...especially since I need to tell NYU by the 15th...

I'm also curious to hear others' opinions about the schools I've been accepted to, has anyone heard good/bad things about any of these schools?

GW, JHU, UofArts, NYU, UW-M

A question to those who have applied to or are in museum studies programs right now:

Is the amount of financial assistance available really variable (it seems to be based on the comments in the "results section" here) and are there schools that are more notorious for being generous than others in this field?

For someone getting an MA in museum studies (assume a good school, but not THE best), after a BFA and an internship or three, what are people expecting to earn? I'm hearing a lot of different answers, which leads me to believe its pretty much a crapshoot. Some have said experienced people are earning 30-40K, the Bureau of Labor Statistics says $35-$45K for curators, one website says 46-66K, etc.

My girlfriend is considering finally going back to get a masters, but she's concerned that she'll actually make less money afterward than she does now (in a completely unrelated field). The prospect of additional student loan debt isn't too pleasant either, especially since I'll hopefully be going to grad school as well. Any insights?

• 2 weeks later...

I GOT WAIT-LISTED AT GEORGETOWN! this program is my first choice since it is focused specifically on art and museum studies....anyone else get wait listed? any advice how to get off the wait-list?

• 4 months later...

I need help. I live in Chicago and would like to attend a MA Museum Studies program in Chicago, but there are none besides the Art Institute? I was looking for a program comparable to Eastern Illinois U and U of Michigan. Is there something I am not seeing? Can someone help give some tips. Thank you!!