California Speech Pathology Programs

jessca

If you're considering a Speech Language Pathology program in California, which programs are at the top of your list? What strengths and weaknesses have you heard about each?

I'm currently considering San Diego State, San Francisco State, and California State Easy Bay.

I'm so glad you made this thread! I'm accepted to SDSU and didn't apply to any other CSUs.

What I know about SF State: Very much school-centered. I don't particularly want to work in special ed classrooms or public schools, and from the alumni I've talked to, that is the main focus of this program. GREAT place if that's what you want! I also didn't apply because living in/parking in the city/near SF State is a PITA (I am from the Bay Area). But you can't get much better than SF in terms of places to be spending your time (in my opinion!).

CSU East Bay: I didn't apply here simply because I wouldn't want to live in Hayward or commute to it. Don't know much more about it.

I don't know much more about the other CSU programs. One thing I noticed in my search is that many of them don't even want your GRE scores. Great for people who didn't take them or did poorly -- but also seems curious to me. Why???

My general take on all of the state schools is that, as a whole (not just SLP masters programs), they were put into place to make higher education more accessible to more Californians. Which is AWESOME. But at the same time, budgets are being cut and the state is broke. Most of them don't offer the PhD-level in our field and therefore (in general) don't attract the same type of faculty & research, and for that reason and the fact that USNews and other ranking organizations gear their findings toward valuing research & publication over quality teaching & service training, these schools don't have well-known reputations. Frankly it's really disappointing to me that there are no top-ranked SLP programs in CA. But it doesn't necessarily mean the schools aren't any good if they're not "ranked." The faculty at such schools (like most of the CSUs) may have more time for their students and provide better education than at a school that has a "publish or perish" culture (like many of the top-ranked schools with research faculty). I don't know. Just a theory. Basically those rankings totally confuse me and I don't know what to truly make of them.

I applied to SDSU because I have CA residency and felt I should apply to at least one in-state school, and San Diego was the most appealing to me in terms of location and program offerings. They've got a bilingual certificate program (many other CSUs probably do, too; I know CSU Long Beach does as well), a brand new facility, and faculty who do research in areas I'm interested in. Yet, according to rankings, SDSU doesn't even make it on the list. So who knows. I was told there were over 350 applicants this cycle, so it's clearly pretty competitive.

Sorry, this wasn't too informative regarding specifics of different CA programs...my dilemma now is more whether or not to go to a particular CSU program, not which one.

The good thing is, no matter where you go in-state, in two years after graduation you'll definitely be able to get a job!

Good luck to everyone applying to CA schools!! :)

Thanks so much for sharing! I'm not sure about the ranking thing, I tend to agree with you, that the rubric that U.S. News, et. al. tend to use may not be the best judge of quality teaching and professor availability.

I'm working as an assistant to an SLP who went to SDSU, and she is extremely effective and knowledgeable. She also highly recommends San Diego's program.

I just found out I didn't get into SFSU, so I'm also headed either to SDSU or out of state.

Have you visited San Diego at all?

I haven't visited SDSU's campus, no. I plan on it before the April 15 deadline, though! That's nice to hear that your boss recommends the program.

One thing I'm worried about is the CSU's budget crisis. Is the program at SDSU even going to exist in the next 2 years?? I have no evidence to substantiate my worrying but it's something I need to get some answers on. It's not a good sign that they've closed off classes in ASL to undergrads. They do have a brand new facility, though. Seems like there's always money for new buildings...

I have a couple friends who also got rejected from SF State. I heard they had 500 applicants; one friend who called said the lady she talked to said that basically if you didn't have a 4.0 they didn't even look at your app (not even a 3.9). Jeez!!

Do you know anything about funding at SDSU?

That will be nice to check out the program. I live in Marin, and 10 hours is a bit of a hike. I was considering going down during spring break (I work at a school district), but that's only a few days before the April 15 deadline, so I will probably already have my decision by then. I'd love to hear your impressions when you do go.

I did call Jessica Barlow, the program director, about funding. She told me the number of assistantships they have each year varies (usually from 2 - 8), but she did mention that because of budget cuts there will be few if any this year.

She also gave me the link for the graduate manual, which includes curriculum information, which I had trouble finding on their website. http://slhs.sdsu.edu/documents.php

Thanks for the SFSU info! 500 applicants? That is insane. The other frustrating thing about SFSU is that they allot half of their open spots to people with degrees in areas other than speech. And then I think they also strongly favor their own graduates.

Good luck with your decision making!

If you'd want to talk more, my email address is jessie.j.stein@gmail.com

It was tough getting denied from SFSU my #1 choice but, hearing from others is comforting. I didn't do my undergrad in SLP and don't know if the admissions committee favors their own and those that have all pre-reqs completed.

In addition to SFSU, I applied to CSUEB and SJSU. Anyone know anything about the program at SJSU? BTW, I saw there were two posters that were admitted to SJSU by e-mail on March 12!?! That was fast.

Many of the applicant pools overlap with the other CSUs as mentioned. If SFSU had 500, I wonder how many applied to CSUEB and SJSU? I think SJSU in a normal year receives almost as many for CD as SFSU if not more. I do know that last year there were 220 applicants for SJSU with 39 admits. SFSU states they normally have between 200 and 250. Now this year SFSU with 500 and all 38 admits had a near 4.0 GPA! I'm wondering if I stand a chance of getting in anywhere. With that caliber of student filling the majority of seats in class, it sounds like a fun 2-4 years...

Good luck to all!

Edited by keepthefaith

Hi everyone,

I applied and was admitted to SDSU's program. Does anybody know if it's generally difficult for out-of-staters to get accepted to CA state schools? I only ask because I'm from the Midwest (from IL, undergrad at Ohio State) and I want to know if I'll be an odd duck not being from CA. I'm glad there were good things said about SDSU's program. Their bilingual certificate was one of their selling points because I did my undergrad in Spanish and I'm really interested in second language acquisition and bilingual therapy.

Though I must admit I've never even set foot in SD before I'm almost positive I'll be going there so I'm making a semi blind decision. :)

Hi fellow CA SLP program applicants! :) I have an undergrad major in psychology and 0 prereqs done, but I plan to start on some at Utah State Online during the summer semester. I was accepted to SDSU (the only CA school I applied to).

jessca - I've heard only positive things about SDSU and CSU - East Bay. Sorry, I don't know anything about SFSU.

SDorUWslp - I'm in a similar dilemma. I'm mainly deciding between Boston University and SDSU right now.

When I went to the CSU - East Bay info session, I remember that the professor holding it said something along the lines of...their faculty didn't feel that GRE scores was an accurate predictor of the student's future performance in the program. I'm not sure if that's the reason the other CSUs don't require the GRE though.

From what I heard, rankings matter more if you're interested in research, and they don't necessarily reflect the rankings of the teaching quality/clinical experience. With that said, I'm not looking at rankings at all and basing my choices more on other factors.

I also had concerns about the influence of budget cuts on the program, so I emailed the director who was very thorough and understanding in answering all my questions, so I suggest you email her with any specific concerns. It seems like the cuts are not affecting the program/students as much as I thought, and I can see that they're really dedicated in doing everything they can to overcome any obstacles.

keepthefaith - The SJSU students I've talked to seem to enjoy their program overall, but if you're interested in research it may not be as good of a fit for you.

JayF - I observed a SLP who went to SDSU, and I think she did her undergrad in the Midwest. I'm not sure where she is from originally though, nor am I sure if it's harder for out-of-staters to get accepted to CA state schools (at the grad level that is. I've heard something about them preferring in-state residents for undergrad, but I'm not sure how true that is either). Either way, you'll be adding some diversity to the class, which is awesome! :) I'm also very interested in second language acquisition, but probably not fluent enough in my 2nd language to do bilingual therapy haha.

Best of luck to everyone trying to make a decision! I feel like there's a high chance that I'll choose SDSU. I actually applied to mostly out-of-state schools because I wanted a new experience, but now cost is playing more of a factor than I thought. Well, everyone keep us updated on where you end up choosing! Maybe some of will become future SDSU classmates - then we could start getting to know each other before school starts and maybe even see if we could fit well as roommates. :)

Edited by stardu5t

• 4 weeks later...

I'm still waiting to hear from East Bay. I know a couple people who applied that have a degree in speech pathology have already heard back, but what about the rest of us? I'm going batty waiting for a response.... :)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I'm currently doing the post-bac program at Sacramento State. Great faculty and a good program but it's very kid and school centered. I'm more interested in working in a hospital setting...any california school anyone could suggest that would help with that? Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi I am currently a senior undergrad in NY and I will be moving to Cali for graduate school. My current GPA is a 3.7 and my GRE scores are 400 verbal 500 math. I have extra curricular activities and work experience. I am considering San Jose State, CSU Northridge, Long Beach, Fresno, Chico, Sacramento, Fullerton, Los Angeles, San Diego, East Bay

I would like to narrow down the list but I have absolutely no insight pertaining to West Coast universities. Suggestions please!?

Hello schung,

What brings you to CA for grad school? I'm applying to most of those schools too.

CA public schools are crazy, crazy competitive for SLP. In the last couple of years applications have nearly doubled (for the same number of spots) and I have a sinking feeling it's even worse this year. I'm hoping to get into one because I am a resident and will pay in-state tuition. I am applying to schools out of state as well as back-up.

I do have a order of "preference" for which schools I want to go to, but honestly, I am going to have to pretty much go with whichever takes me -- it's really that brutal.

If I were you I would retake the GREs (try to break 1000). Are you a SLP undergrad? Do you have experience with language disorders? Or with children, the disabled or the elderly? Experience is important. Don't narrow it down. Apply to all of them if you really want to go to school in CA and its worth the out-of-state tuition price. In fact, for about the same price there are a few private schools that have programs. I would also apply to some non-CA schools just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I am in need of help and advice- I am so happy to have come across this and signed up, so that hopefully my questions will be answered. I am a junior with a Speech Pathology major and minor in Spanish, and have work experience with SLH. SDSU has been my top graduate school choice ever since I got into undergrad. I am curious to know how competitive their Speech Pathology Master's Program is, so I can do whatever it takes to get in.

-Since I live in NJ, I wonder if they take applicants from out-of-state often?

-My current GPA is a 3.3; I am continuing to raise it and want to bump it up to at least a 3.7: what is the average GPA they would accept?

-Since I have a minor in Spanish, will that look good on my application? I'm interested in their bilingual/second language acquisition, so I hope that is a good factor?

- Are the GRE's a STRONG indicator of determining acceptance? I am a horrible standardized test-taker, and this is what is making me the most nervous- I just took a practice test and I definitely want to spend the next months preparing myself so I can get a decent score. My grades are great, and I have extra curricular activities and work experience. Therefore, I do hope that they consider other factors than focusing strongly on the GRE scores. I am not applying for SDSU until Fall 2012, so I have a lot of time for preparation. But this is a huge worry for me.

I apologize for all the questions.... I am just so interested in going to SDSU and getting into their program that I want to make sure I can meet all their requirements. If someone could help me out and give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it!

Hey acirtap,

See what I wrote above about CA schools. The same applies generally to SDSU. Super competitive, large numbers of applicants, high out of state tuition. They do accept out of state students but I believe they are in the minority.

The stats for last year (according to ASHA's Ed Find search program <--- find this and bookmark it. It will be your new best friend through this process) are 359 applications for 63 spaces. I imagine that this year there will be even more. Average GPA was 3.79 and average GRE was 1179. Also, that may be even more higher in upcoming years. They do look at things other than these numbers but with such a high volume of applicants, they do have to draw the line somewhere.

Your Spanish background might be a slight advantage but a minor might not be enough because in order to practice bilingually you will have to be fluent. Could you bump that up to a double major maybe? Also, your being an SLP major is also probably an advantage. Make sure your grades in these core classes are top-notch.

Looking at the big picture, even if you meet all their requirements, there is a good chance of not getting in just because of lack of space. Hundreds of exceptionally qualified applicants will be turned away. Still, raise your stats in order to be a competitive applicant in general because its tough everywhere! Also, there are many schools with a good bilingual/ESL emphasis that are just as good. You can search for those specifically on Ed Find as well.

I'm personally applying to SDSU because I am a CA resident but I'm not really counting on getting in. I honestly wouldn't even bother if I was out of state.

Thank you very much- that gave me some insight. Is CSU-Long Beach's SLH program as well as SDSU? I'm interested in applying there as well. Are there any other good grad schools in CA with a good SLH program? I'm not looking to go up North, but I am desperate to move to CA regardless, so I should probably just apply everywhere I can. Doesn't hurt to just apply. I am doing all that I can to make my application stand out, especially because I am out of state. I hope that won't be a huge burden from the looks of your response. :-/

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I only recently became interested in SLP. Just yesterday I shadowed my first SLP and loved it. I have another shadow set up for next week. I have a BS in Biology with a low gpa, but since then (2009) I've been taking classes at community college (so far, 35 units of A's).

My top choice is SDSU, and I contacted Jessica asking about what I could do to boost my chances of getting in. She responded with volunteering, and keeping GPA high.

I'm planning to apply for Fall 2012, so I can get my GPA above their min (3.2). Does anyone have advice for what I can do to become a more competitive applicant?

Here are my stats:

BS in biology - 2.89 :(

comm. coll. - 4.0 (in various science classes. The schools near me don't offer much in terms of SLP related classes but I'm trying to take ASL and child development classes)

GRE: v94%, q88%, (1430) but w4.0 :(

volunteer -

Kaiser hospice

starting volunteering with an SLP next week

work-

2+ years private tutor and teacher at after school program

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...

I am applying to Cal State LA for Speech Pathology, can anyone give me more specific information on their program? Like what is their focus on research, is it more hospital oriented or school oriented? I would appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Time to revive this thread for Fall 2012 acceptances! Anyone heard anything yet?

Carina - I applied CSULA but I honestly don't know all that much about it. I applied to a ton of schools and its hard to get much info out of a lot of the CSUs. The vague things I've heard have been good.

I'm new to this thread and would like more information on Cal State programs - SJSU, SFSU, CSUEB - and pre-req programs in Oregon. My undergrad major was not in SLP or CSD, but I have 2 years of teaching moderate/severe students in special education (both public and non-public schools) in a special day class setting. My experience has included working with children/adolescents with autism, emotionally disturbed, hard of hearing, non-verbal. I also have a master's degree in special education.

Are there any good/affordable online programs for completing the pre-reqs? Or is it better to get into a leveling program?

What are programs looking for - experience? grades/scores? pre-reqs completed?

Are most Cal State programs for school based SLP?

U. of Pacific is expensive, but is it worth it?

Interested in applying to: SJSU, SFSU, CSEUB, PDX, U.Oregon

Stats:

UG GPA overall: 3.12

UG Major GPA: 3.7 (Art, Studio)

Grad GPA: 3.98 (Special Education, M.Ed.)

GRE: 1260 (V: 550, Q: 710, Analytical: 5.5)

Your stats look great and you have tons of experience already. You could either do a leveling program or just do a pre-req or post-bacc program to get your SLP pre-reqs. I've heard good things about Utah State's online program (affordable, well organized, etc.) though I've never taken courses through them myself. It doesn't matter if you go that way or the leveling program route, the only things I would take into consideration in that decision are cost and how well you think you'd do in online classes versus traditional classroom setting.

Programs are looking for all of the things you listed plus solid letters of recommendation and SoPs. If I were in your position I would get LoRs from two grad professors and one or two of your supervisors from your work positions. I would also get 25 hours of SLP observation (well documented), as ASHA will require it, though lots of schools seem to let you get them during grad school if you don't have them. Some don't though.

I don't know anything about the schools you asked about besides PDX (I applied there this year). Just know that SLP school is INSANELY competitive to get into (think around 500 applications for around 25 spots...) so no matter how strong your application is, be sure to cast a wide net and apply to at least a handful of schools (and be aware of the cost of that before hand...I paid around $1000 when all was said and done on applications, including GRE testing and score sending). Good luck!!

I'm new to this thread and would like more information on Cal State programs - SJSU, SFSU, CSUEB - and pre-req programs in Oregon. My undergrad major was not in SLP or CSD, but I have 2 years of teaching moderate/severe students in special education (both public and non-public schools) in a special day class setting. My experience has included working with children/adolescents with autism, emotionally disturbed, hard of hearing, non-verbal. I also have a master's degree in special education.

Are there any good/affordable online programs for completing the pre-reqs? Or is it better to get into a leveling program?

What are programs looking for - experience? grades/scores? pre-reqs completed?

Are most Cal State programs for school based SLP?

U. of Pacific is expensive, but is it worth it?

Interested in applying to: SJSU, SFSU, CSEUB, PDX, U.Oregon

Stats:

UG GPA overall: 3.12

UG Major GPA: 3.7 (Art, Studio)

Grad GPA: 3.98 (Special Education, M.Ed.)

GRE: 1260 (V: 550, Q: 710, Analytical: 5.5)

Hi Sunjinro!

It sounds like you have some great practical experience! That will serve you well!

This is what I know about the schools you mentioned (since I looked into or applied to all of those!)

Out of state tuition is INSANE in Oregon, so if you are a Californian, thinking about PDX State - it's actually going to be more expensive than Pacific if you don't get residency before you attend. Pacific doesn't have a prereq program. PDX does. I recently talked to someone in the program and it seems like their classes are HUGE. I would probably go elsewhere if I didn't get in-state tuition there. I don't know anything about U of O.

All CSU schools are insanely competitive. SJ and SF slightly more so than EB. I think they are mostly school-focused (particularly EB) but remember, you will get experience in all areas, so I wouldn't consider that a dealbreaker - esp when you don't have much of a choice!

SF State puts a lot of emphasis on prior experience, so you would be a good candidate if you got good grades in your pre-reqs. They do have an undergrad program there. You can only apply to their grad program if you have your BA or pre-reqs in COMD now (its ok if its from somewhere else). They've dropped the extended Masters program.

East Bay DOES have an extended Masters and regular program as far as I know. They'd be good to do a pre-req program. Especially since they have weird requirements (why I didn't apply - some of my core classes are over 7 yrs old and I was NOT going to redo biology and that stuff). I get the feeling the students are on the younger side.

SJ also has an undergrad program. I can't remember if they do extended Master's. I am guessing not. They were very helpful on the phone and the website is very informative. I heard a rumor they do favor their own undergrads for the grad program. Don't know how true this is.

I am taking my leveling courses through USU distance (culminating in a 2nd BA) and it's pretty good. I feel it is preparing me well. The classes are hard though - way harder than my on-campus undergrad degree. But I'm managing to keep a 4.0. They just changed over to a SUPER crappy platform for the classes though. It kind of makes me almost want to warn students against it, but if you're cool with not having a discussion board to communicate with other students and a shitty email function (ie: you work pretty well on your own), go for it. There is related non-official facebook group of helpful students to make up for this.

Your stats look really good. Good luck!

Im glad I found this forum...better than the other one ive been reading which seems mostly focused on East Coast schools. I applied for Fall 2012 admission to Cal State Fullerton, Cal State Long Beach, San Diego State, Cal State LA, and Chapman. I've heard these schools have over 400 applicants for only 30 spots!!

The wait is killing me!

Here is what someone posted about when acceptance letters are going to be going out in the other thread. I thought I'd post it here because it will probably get buried in posts over there soon!

Couldn't stand it, called a couple of those oh-so-elusive CSUs today.

• SFSU: "within a couple of weeks"
  • CSUN: "end of March, early April"
  • CSULA: will go out by mail starting mid-April
  • SDSU: "within a week," bless your soul!!

Couldn't reach CSUF, I'll try again later!

My reaction: CSUN had a due date in Mid-Dec didn't they! And LA - mid-April!! Isn't that when we are supposed to have told other schools if we accept or not? Sigh...it's going to be a long two months..

Here's hoping I get into SD can just accept right away (yeah right!)