Admission % for International Students Discrepancy

AUROCH

My question pertains to the admission rate of international students that seems to vary wildly between different graduate schools I am looking at. Harvard's BBS program seems to have roughly ~25% international students and U Michigan's Biology program somewhere closer to 50% based on its latest intake. On the flipside, most of the programs at UCSF seem to have <5% international students while MCB at Berkeley admitted only a single international student in its 2018 entering cohort (3%). Thus I would like to know if there is a simple way to find out what the admissions rate for international applicants in graduate programs or their proportion within the cohort. Furthermore, does it thus make sense for international applicants to simply skip applying to schools with a significantly lower intake of international students? 

Edited by AUROCH

• 2 months later...

1. I don't think there's a quick and easy way. I googled "immunology phd admission stats/diversity/student profiles" for each school individually. Some simply don't publish this data. 

2. I skipped almost all schools that emphasize things like "in the past we've been able to admit VERY FEW international students" upfront on the website. I also emailed one school that states "international applicants should be aware that depending on funding sources, we may not be able to admit international students in certain years", and their reply was "we cannot guarantee funding at this point", so I skipped that as well.

3. I think it's sensible to still apply if (a) application fees and such are not an issue for you and (b) you really think it's a good fit. Or if you have a connection there that raises your chances considerably. But otherwise I myself didn't apply to schools that seem to struggle with funding for international students.