Withdrawing from a Master's program?

mayhemily

am currently a Master's student; the program is great and I am confident that I could get a lot from it, but I am feeling burnt out and unable to engage meaningfully with the material. 

I am thinking about withdrawing from the program after this semester, but I am curious how that would affect my chances of getting into other schools. What I would ideally like to do is reapply for a Master's program this semester, withdraw after this fall semester is over, and then hopefully resume my studies Fall 2019. Naturally, there is the potential of not getting in, and I wouldn't want to either alienate/offend my professors or hurt my chances of getting into a PhD program in the future.

I am curious about what you think about withdrawing, just in general, and also leaves of absence on a transcript. Also, how offensive is it to a professor if you withdraw from a program but also simultaneously ask for a letter of recommendation? Definitely don't want to scorch any earth here, but also don't really want to finish the program.

I would suggest you seek out counseling regarding your feelings of burn out (try your university's counseling center). If you withdraw from this program and apply to another, the problem may very well carry over, especially since it seems, based on your post, that you are happy with the overall program.

AdComms will definitely want to know why you left a master's program prior to completion and then are applying to a similar program elsewhere. 

If you truly don't think you can do next semester, speak to your advisor or a program admin about a possible leave of absence rather than outright withdrawal from the program.