Should I retake the GRE?

Hi everyone, I recently took the GRE and received an average/low score for the quantitative section: a 149. However, my verbal and writing scores were both high; a 163 in verbal and a 5.0 in writing. So far I have decided that I am applying to the graduate programs at FSU, UF, UCF, and USF. Would anyone recommend that I retake the GRE in hopes of improving my quantitative score? Or do you think that my overall score is good enough to outweigh it?

For more context about me, I have a 3.78 GPA, I've done one semester of research, I studied abroad with my CSD program at FSU, and have done a good amount of volunteering within areas of speech pathology and children with disabilities.

Thanks!

Edited by AfutureSLP2019

On 10/16/2018 at 9:04 PM, AfutureSLP2019 said:

Hi everyone, I recently took the GRE and received an average/low score for the quantitative section: a 149. However, my verbal and writing scores were both high; a 163 in verbal and a 5.0 in writing. So far I have decided that I am applying to the graduate programs at FSU, UF, UCF, and USF. Would anyone recommend that I retake the GRE in hopes of improving my quantitative score? Or do you think that my overall score is good enough to outweigh it?

For more context about me, I have a 3.78 GPA, I've done one semester of research, I studied abroad with my CSD program at FSU, and have done a good amount of volunteering within areas of speech pathology and children with disabilities.

Thanks!

I agree, do not spend your time and money retaking.  I had a 149 on my quant section and it was fine. 

I just took the GRE and I got a 151 in verbal and a 147 in quant. I took it very recently so I don’t have my writing scores back. Do you think that 147 will kill my chances of getting into a program? Should I for sure take it again? I really don’t want to take it again and I don’t know if I’d do any better. 

I have a high GPA, great letters of rec, and I have shadowing experience as well. 

Edited by Mel-SLP2B

10 hours ago, Mel-SLP2B said:

I just took the GRE and I got a 151 in verbal and a 147 in quant. I took it very recently so I don’t have my writing scores back. Do you think that 147 will kill my chances of getting into a program? Should I for sure take it again? I really don’t want to take it again and I don’t know if I’d do any better. 

I have a high GPA, great letters of rec, and I have shadowing experience as well. 

I wouldn't say it would kill your chances... just look at the stats of where you want to apply. If the average quant of your schools is 157 then I'd be wary, but there are plenty of schools where the average quant is in the 147 range or below (several that I'm apply to have that as the case). If your other experiences are good then I really doubt it would disqualify you.

15 hours ago, LaceySpeechie said:

I wouldn't say it would kill your chances... just look at the stats of where you want to apply. If the average quant of your schools is 157 then I'd be wary, but there are plenty of schools where the average quant is in the 147 range or below (several that I'm apply to have that as the case). If your other experiences are good then I really doubt it would disqualify you.

Most of the schools I have looked at want atleast a 150 in each section. I have a few that are below but majority are 150 for where I want to apply.