Is it possible for me to get in New York university

charlottechen

I am an international student without us degree.rolleyes.gif

I apply for MA in media culture and communication {New York University}.

My overall GPA is 3.6 and major GPA is 3.8; by the way, my major is public administration and policy in college.

Toefl IBT is 104, GRE 640 for verbal, 740 for quantitative.

I don't have any job experience , but I have an internship in a big company for 2 months.

Well, I am so worried about the application !!!!!

Dose anyone can tell me the chance is high or low?

Thank yousmile.gif

Good luck for all of us!!!!!!

Your stats are pretty good. I'm not sure about their communications department, but I know that many of their "liberal arts" departments don't weigh the GRE very heavily.

MA programs also tend to be less competitive than PhDs. However, this application season due to the struggling economy in the US, competition is very high, and I know that many departments at NYU had to accept less students than they normally do because of financial reasons. I'd say that so long as you have strong LORs and a well-written, concise SOP you probably have a good chance. But remember, sometimes people get rejected from programs because of things that have nothing to do with your application. It's definitely worth a shot though.

Best of luck!

<br />Is your undergrad major related in any way to your prospective MA program?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Well, my undergrad major is somehow related in prospective MA program. Sometimes certain courses in Public administration and policy deal with media issue. However, I am not pretty sure how close it is?

There is no communication department in my college, so I never attend any course about media or communication .

Therefore, that is the biggest concern for me to be accepted to the prospective MA program.

<br />Your stats are pretty good. I'm not sure about their communications department, but I know that many of their &quot;liberal arts&quot; departments don't weigh the GRE very heavily. <br /><br />MA programs also tend to be less competitive than PhDs. However, this application season due to the struggling economy in the US, competition is very high, and I know that many departments at NYU had to accept less students than they normally do because of financial reasons. I'd say that so long as you have strong LORs and a well-written, concise SOP you probably have a good chance. But remember, sometimes people get rejected from programs because of things that have nothing to do with your application. It's definitely worth a shot though.<br /><br />Best of luck!<br /><br />
<br /><br /><br />

Thanks!!! We all need good luck :)

<br /><br /><br />

Well, my undergrad major is somehow related in prospective MA program. Sometimes certain courses in Public administration and policy deal with media issue. However, I am not pretty sure how close it is?

There is no communication department in my college, so I never attend any course about media or communication .

Therefore, that is the biggest concern for me to be accepted to the prospective MA program.

Then you're going to have to really show in your SOP that you know exactly why you want to change fields and that you know what your intended field entails. You don't want them to think that your choice of an MA is random. You want to show them that this program is the next logical step in your education.