MA vs MS? (American Studies)

(Cross-posting from the Literature forum)

I realize this may be a dumb question to ask here, but I'd rather ask it on this forum than ask the director of the program I just got accepted to and reveal my total ignorance...

It's an American Studies program within the English dept at a state university. I knew that the program offered both an MA and MS in AmStud, but since my focus is going to be in literature, I assumed that I'd be working towards an MA. (I have already been awarded a fellowship that is related to the specific field in American lit that I want to study.) Therefore I was puzzled when I received my official acceptance letter from the GS today with a notation that I would be working towards an MS.

Have you ever heard of an MS for a humanities degree -- much less literature? I tried to research it online and came up blank, other than reiterations of what I'd always thought: MA for humanities; MS for sciences & social sciences. I read something else that said the distinction of MS vs. MA is dependent on where you go to school, not the contents of the degree itself. (Again, my program offers BOTH.) Then a friend of mine told me that in her undergrad at UVA, a BS was given as a mark of distinction -- meaning a thesis was written, or something extra had been done. At my undergrad, it was as I said: BA for humanities and the arts; BS for science, math, social sciences.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Have you ever heard of an MS for American Studies/Literature? While I will still attend the program, due to my fellowship/funding and specialization they offer in my area of interest, I am nervous that an MS will not look as legit to future PhD programs as the traditional MA.

Thanks for any info! : )

Can anyone shed any light on this? Have you ever heard of an MS for American Studies/Literature? While I will still attend the program, due to my fellowship/funding and specialization they offer in my area of interest, I am nervous that an MS will not look as legit to future PhD programs as the traditional MA.

Hi bespeckled,

Congrats on admittance and the fellowship! Another Am Studies person here...I'm not exactly sure of the answer to your question, but something did occur to me as I read your post: perhaps Am Studies at your school, even if it's housed under the English department, is considered a social science? I don't get how or why that would be, but it was just a thought. I remember when I was visiting schools last year, one of the African American Studies programs I looked at was considered a social science, whereas at EVERY other school I'd looked at or researched, AfAm was part of the humanities.

So, just a thought...or, maybe the "s" in the "MS" was just a typo? ;)

Here's one piece of advice I'd give you in the meantime, a lesson I learned: NO question is too ignorant when it comes to this grad school stuff...Believe me, that's why the DGS is there, to answer all and any questions incoming students might have.

Good luck with everything!

GG

(Cross-posting from the Literature forum)

I realize this may be a dumb question to ask here, but I'd rather ask it on this forum than ask the director of the program I just got accepted to and reveal my total ignorance...

It's an American Studies program within the English dept at a state university. I knew that the program offered both an MA and MS in AmStud, but since my focus is going to be in literature, I assumed that I'd be working towards an MA. (I have already been awarded a fellowship that is related to the specific field in American lit that I want to study.) Therefore I was puzzled when I received my official acceptance letter from the GS today with a notation that I would be working towards an MS.

Have you ever heard of an MS for a humanities degree -- much less literature? I tried to research it online and came up blank, other than reiterations of what I'd always thought: MA for humanities; MS for sciences & social sciences. I read something else that said the distinction of MS vs. MA is dependent on where you go to school, not the contents of the degree itself. (Again, my program offers BOTH.) Then a friend of mine told me that in her undergrad at UVA, a BS was given as a mark of distinction -- meaning a thesis was written, or something extra had been done. At my undergrad, it was as I said: BA for humanities and the arts; BS for science, math, social sciences.

My understanding is that, if the program has separate MA and MS programs, the MA will often come with a language requirement whereas the MS doesn't. It should be in a program guide usually on a department's website. If you don't have significant language experience, and the department doesn't anticipate you meeting one or perhaps needing one, that may be why they have you registered for the MS. As the previous poster said, if you're still really confused and can't find the answer you want just call them up. For what it's worth, I don't think having a MS over the MA will be a huge hinderance for a PhD program. If it is in fact the language thing, and your future PhD program requires a language, and you don't already have one or two under your belt, it may be a problem.